Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most absurd TD claim

1. May 13, 2004 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most absurd "TD" claim

A Parody of SOME TD threads.

for example (this is all made up)

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

what does TD mean?

4. May 13, 2004 #3
    Theory Development

5. May 13, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

that's a pretty wacky theory. If he changed quasi-particles to miniature chickens he may have had something...

6. May 14, 2004 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I might have to apologize for this, although I was not referring to anyone in particular. I have finally sworn off even looking into the TD sub-forum because 3/4 of all posts basically look like the fake one I posted above. It was something that I had to get out, then it became enjoyably funny. It seems that many people assume that Physics is a democratic process, where any "speculation" counts as a theory and is just as valid as any other theory. It's is amazing that some poeple have, by merely staring at their toenails for long enough, have trumped the cumulative study and research of all physicist since Galileo.

Anyhow, it was fun if not funny. Give it a shot. How absurd can you get?

7. May 17, 2004 #6
    Lets see, quasi-particles and the counter quasi-particles get together and start dancing and singing and then there's a big light show.....I wonder if the Blue's Brothers are aware of their competition.

8. May 17, 2004 #7
    After reading Newton's Principia:

" at once came to the conclusion that Newton could have dispensed is knowledge in a much wider field had he known less about figures. It gave me a distaste for mathematics from which I have never recovered."

-T.A. Edison

9. May 19, 2004 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Edison is a jerk."

-N. Tesla

10. May 19, 2004 #9
    Yes, anyone setting out to defend Edison's character would have a long, uphill slog in front of them.

11. May 20, 2004 #10

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't possibly be a real TD post, too few spelling, grammar, punctuation mistakes. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  12. May 20, 2004 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another mistake! Also notice that the "poster" said nothing about how stupid Einstein was.

13. May 20, 2004 #12
    It's not quite unreadable enough either. You need to add another 4 paragraphs without whitespace...

14. May 20, 2004 #13
    "1st ofall, Einstien was totally rong. I invented a motor that I'm plan to build when I got the money. it uses magnets and static electricity and will power my entire trailer. the magnets aer aimed so that their negative poles pull toward a piece of metal and then then pass the metal and pull towrd the next piece of metal. I know that the metal will attract the magnets so I have to make it so it doesn't so i use the static electricity to make the metal repell the magnets by reverseing the polarity of the armature by a process thta i have develpoed that i can't tell you about because i want to paton it. can you tell me anything that are reasons why it won't work? I won't really listen because it will work because i have thought about it long and hard for about half an hour now and i can't think of any reason why it won't work. I don't know how to do the math so if anyone could help me with the equations that would be grate."

another made up post. :smile:

15. May 20, 2004 #14

megashawn

Science Advisor

In the beggining there was the word....

Wait, that ones been done before

:)

16. May 21, 2004 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:frown: I am not worthy.

17. May 21, 2004 #16

Aww, I loved yours; it has dancing, singing quasi particles in it. :smile:

18. May 22, 2004 #17

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes Chi's did have a certain poetry to it, or some nice images that might help the reader remember the paradigm-breaking idea. But, as Lonewolf said (could apply to Artman's too), it's far too short. :smile:

BTW, didn't some physicist write a spoof of a sociology paper a few years ago, and actually got it published? Seems I recall a nice story that a (female) sociologist - one of the very few to have smelled a rat, so to speak - challenged the paper, the physicist liked her response, and, well, they ended up getting married. Probably not a grain of truth, but it's a nice story, don't you think? :approve:

19. May 22, 2004 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The story is definitely true, the physicist is Alan Sokal.
    (I think the bogus paper was called "Towards a new hermeneutics of quantum gravity")

His wife is, however, an anthropologist, not a sociologist (I think..)

20. May 22, 2004 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?