Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most Annoying Commercials

1. Jul 29, 2006 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Head On! Apply directly to the head! (repeat about 25 times in 30 seconds)

Activon! Apply directly where it hurts! (repeat until viewers bang their head against the wall)

Oh, please, please, PLEASE don't come out with a hemorrhoid treatment.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2006 #2
    Are you ok bob?

4. Jul 29, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was going to ask the same thing.

Bob, back away from the tv. Slowly. Don't look back.

5. Jul 29, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You folks haven't seen these commercials! They make you want to do things you didn't think yourself capable of.

6. Jul 29, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I haven't watched tv since my cable box died 4 months ago. I've been too busy to get it replaced.

7. Jul 29, 2006 #6
    I hate that commercial too :grumpy:

8. Jul 29, 2006 #7
    That's exactly the way I feel about essentially everything in television programming, so you've got no sympathy from me, you crazy TV addicts.

9. Jul 30, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I gave up tv when i moved to my cott, and i do not miss it one iota, i bet most people switch the box on out of habbit more than any desire to watch
    anything.

So i challenge every one to do without tv for 24hrs and see if you can live with out it.

10. Jul 30, 2006 #9
    Regarding annoying commercials are concerned, those "Countrywide Insurance" ones are far too long //

11. Jul 30, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use TV as a sleep inducer. I got rid of my cable connection when I realized I had little to no time for TV. As of now, the TV is mostly on when I'm asleep!

12. Jul 30, 2006 #11
  13. Jul 30, 2006 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hell, my girlfriend and I watch maybe two hours of TV a week, and even I've seen those Head On commercials a time or two. They're just everywhere -- and annoying. But, it sure seems their tactic has succeeded, because here we are talking about them....

- Warren

14. Jul 30, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I've never heard of it until this thread. I'm pretty oblivious of commercials though. Heck, I'm pretty oblivious to most of what's on TV...every once in a while I look up and try to identify which show is on and flip channels for a bit, then return to what I was doing that was distracting me from actually watching.

15. Jul 31, 2006 #14

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have not seen that commercial. What an annoying bit. I still don't know what the product is for.

My most annoying commercials right now are Sharper Image's Ionic Breeze. I wish Consumers Reports had a review commercial to play right after them.

16. Jul 31, 2006 #15
    The most annoying adverts over here for me at least are those damned car commercials(is it for vaxhaul,can't remember, there see I have no idea what your selling) where they "cleverly" transpose the role of the parents and the kids, who are mature and wise and the parents are eratic and emotional, and here's why.

1) it's not big and it's not clever

2) It's not funny

3) I don't care if they are overtired your 10, act your bloody age and go smash some plates :rolleyes:

I really really really hate that advert:mad: when I first saw it I was like ya ok but crap, now I have to turn over or my head boils!!!

A friend who did some research on advertising told me that one of the companies he asked about adverts had told him the idea in advertising was either to write an add everyone loved or write one everyone hated, as long as it stuck with them that's all that counts; the worst advert ever written in this case is that one about erm... no it's gone? Anyway you get my rather obvious point :smile:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  17. Jul 31, 2006 #16
    @schrodinger's dog: that is a good advert

I hate the one for Carcraft, the one as a musical, it just gets on my %"&^*£'s its just soo anoying

theres others

i like the new Pizza Hut: "nine pounds and ninety nine little penies"
    great!!

i also hate ther Frostys advert, aggggggggghhhh!!!!!!!! its so bad

18. Jul 31, 2006 #17
    Ok there have been worse(it's mainly the fact this advert has been shown a hundred million times on every channel in existence for the last 9 months that it is just so annoying), like the milky bar kid adverts, when I was I kid I found these patheticly twee and patronising, lord knows what I'd think of them now. Worst advert in history though? I saw a great american advert the other day, it was for pepsi I think and it involved the scene from Spartacus, you know I'm Sparticus, no I'm Sparticus and the Roman guard goes nah I'm sparticus, you have to have seen it pretty funny :smile:

Crap I just remebered it's the new Vauxhall Saffira, Oh no I am under there control, quick get me a voodoo fetish, I need protection!

19. Jul 31, 2006 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmm. As annoying as it may be, it may come in handy some times.

r6gwK6zBQLo[/MEDIA]&NR]Zidane's new commercial

Edit: The other 'head on' videos are kind of interesting, especially this one: 1LIB6vqY3BA[/MEDIA]&NR]My Head On Collision. It shows the car damage and the driver's injuries. Check out the face, chest, and shoulder of the driver - those seat belts really dig into the flesh in accidents like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. Jul 31, 2006 #19
    did you ever see the one with the birt landing on a car bonet, the bonet flips up and the bird goes flying. i think it was a ford advert

21. Oct 8, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Arrgh!!! No!!!!

From Miralus, makers of Head-On:
    http://www.medichest.com/freedhemhemorrhoidalcr.html

There's a commercial on YouTube for it, but it has to be a parody.

As is this one, but at least it's an improvement on the original:

[MEDIA=youtube]ZSIDHZpZmxA[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?