Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I'm serious baffled by what I see but I imagine that a Middle Eastern person of such upbringing would be baffled by most western ideas too.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — It is the Arab world's answer to the Westminster Dog Show — a camel beauty pageant. Nearly 20,000 one-humped hopefuls are about to compete for the coveted title of most attractive camel in the world. [continued]
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346168,00.html

I just don't know what they see in those one-humpers. Besides, the two-humpers come with air bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arg, the ME looks like a miserable desert wasteland. I can't stand all that sand sand sand.

That's Hot.

They have such pretty eyes and eyelashes. But they spit up a storm.

Cyrus said:
Arg, the ME looks like a miserable desert wasteland. I can't stand all that sand sand sand.
I like the desert. A few years ago I took the family to Las Vegas and from there took a day trip to Death Valley. Quite nice.

jimmysnyder said:
I like the desert. A few years ago I took the family to Las Vegas and from there took a day trip to Death Valley. Quite nice.

Well, you're kind of lucky Death Valley in the USA is restricted to one state. In Iraq it seems to be the whole country.

I am seriously baffled by what I see but I imagine that a Middle Eastern person of such upbringing would be baffled by most western ideas too.

jimmysnyder said:

But is it insanely hot? A friend of mine was a marine. He said you would take two huge bottles of water out with you. By the time you finished the first bottle the second bottle was too hot to drink ~120F.

He should have taken 3. That way, he could drink 2 bottles and then the last one would get hot.

Evo said:
They have such pretty eyes and eyelashes. But they spit up a storm.
There is an animal park not far from here, and when we visit, we take food for the animals. The camels absolutely love corn on the cob and apples, but when they see the food, they get so drooly, that I just hand the bag to the owner, and let him feed those rascals. His black bears take food from his mouth, and he is particularly chummy with some of his big cats, although some of the cats that he rescued as adults are too unpredictable to approach. I've got to take my cameras there this summer and get some pictures. When we visited last time, my wife and I and another couple rode in on Harleys, and brought mostly vegetables, apples, etc. While we were there, a fellow and his teen-aged son showed up with fruits, vegetables, nuts, and packages of chuck steak as donations. The tigers and lions really loved the steaks!

There's not a lingerie competition in this pageant, is there? :uhh:

Math Is Hard said:
There's not a lingerie competition in this pageant, is there? :uhh:
Because of religious sensitivities, the camels have to wear thongs (at a minimum) and veils.

Cyrus said:
But is it insanely hot? A friend of mine was a marine. He said you would take two huge bottles of water out with you. By the time you finished the first bottle the second bottle was too hot to drink ~120F.
We stopped in Stovepipe Wells. It was 124F, but with the wind-chill factor it was 125F. I tried to pour some water from a pitcher into a glass, but the glass never got wet.

turbo-1 said:
There is an animal park not far from here, and when we visit, we take food for the animals. The camels absolutely love corn on the cob and apples, but when they see the food, they get so drooly, that I just hand the bag to the owner, and let him feed those rascals. His black bears take food from his mouth, and he is particularly chummy with some of his big cats, although some of the cats that he rescued as adults are too unpredictable to approach. I've got to take my cameras there this summer and get some pictures. When we visited last time, my wife and I and another couple rode in on Harleys, and brought mostly vegetables, apples, etc. While we were there, a fellow and his teen-aged son showed up with fruits, vegetables, nuts, and packages of chuck steak as donations. The tigers and lions really loved the steaks!

The owner should be more careful. When you start thinking you can be chummy with wildcats, that's about the time you're in the news for being mauled by one of them. We had a semi-local woman in the news recently who was mauled by a leopard in a sanctuary she ran, and after she's out of the hospital, she's right back working with them again. It's just plain stupid. You can admire the beauty of the animals without losing respect for their wildness. They aren't just over-sized house cats.

All they need now is background music by the Black Eyed Peas, "My Humps".

Snazzy said:
All they need now is background music by the Black Eyed Peas, "My Humps".

:rofl:

my humps
my humps
my lovely lady lumps

:rofl:

Cyrus said:
But is it insanely hot?

Bald guys can fry bacon on their heads.

Another friend of mine was telling me about how the US soldiers were told NOT to shoot the camels when they were based in Kuwait. It was a $1Mil USD fine if they did.

Moonbear said:
The owner should be more careful. When you start thinking you can be chummy with wildcats, that's about the time you're in the news for being mauled by one of them. We had a semi-local woman in the news recently who was mauled by a leopard in a sanctuary she ran, and after she's out of the hospital, she's right back working with them again. It's just plain stupid. You can admire the beauty of the animals without losing respect for their wildness. They aren't just over-sized house cats.

I think the only reason my cat hasn't mauled me is that she's just too small to inflict significant damage. Otherwise, I'd be toast. I think some problems with getting close to wild animals are due to lack of domestication, and some are just due to pure scale.

Moonbear said:
He has raised some of these animals from babies, and he goes into their enclosures every day to keep them socialized.

He has rescued some animals from pretty awful situations. One of his black bears is really small. Her previous owner had been using her at fairs, etc, charging people for the opportunity to pose with her and have their pictures taken. Once an animal like this reaches a certain weight, they can no longer be legally used for this purpose, so the owner starved her to keep her small. The guy who runs the animal park is very considerate of her and is sensitive to her health. He says she'll never get much larger than she is now (about 1/2 the size she should be) because her growth was stunted during a critical part of her development. He hand-feeds her every day to make sure that the bigger bears don't hog her food. They are all in the same enclosure so they can socialize, but when it comes to food, the big guys will crowd out the little one if they can.

turbo-1 said:
He has raised some of these animals from babies, and he goes into their enclosures every day to keep them socialized.

And that's what the local woman was doing too...with those types of animals, even if born in captivity, they are at best tame, not domesticated. As MIH points out, it can simply be their size that makes them dangerous...a playful swat can inflict major harm. It is better to realize they are wild animals and put in proper safety measures to allow one to provide food and care without entering the pens with the animals freely roaming in them. They should be socialized with others of their own species, not humans (it can be even more dangerous if the animal is overly comfortable with and unafraid of humans...if they get out or something happens, they won't have the normal fear reaction to run away from the human, but instead are more likely to approach and hurt the human, again, even if just by trying to play).

What is the Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE?

The Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE is an annual event held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates to showcase the beauty and grace of camels. It is a popular event that attracts camel owners and enthusiasts from all over the world.

When is the Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE held?

The Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE is typically held during the month of February or March. The exact date may vary each year, so it's best to check the official event website for the most up-to-date information.

How are the camels judged in the Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE?

The camels are judged based on various criteria including their physical appearance, posture, and overall beauty. They are also evaluated on their obedience and ability to follow commands given by their owners.

Who can participate in the Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE?

Camel owners from all over the world are welcome to participate in the Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE. However, there may be certain eligibility requirements and registration fees that need to be fulfilled in order to enter the contest. It's best to check the official event website for more information.

What is the prize for winning the Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE?

The prize for winning the Most Beautiful Camel Contest in Abu Dhabi, UAE varies each year. However, it is a prestigious title and the winning camel and its owner are usually awarded a significant amount of money, a trophy, and other valuable prizes.