What is the most beautiful definition you've encountered?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the conversation discussed various definitions and their beauty in mathematics. The most beautiful definition mentioned was the definition of e as a number satisfying d/dx(e^x) = e^x. This definition allows for several important concepts and results to be derived, such as the Maclaurin Series and l'Hopital's Rule. The conversation also touched on the concept of a beautiful proof, which involves creativity and insight in solving a problem. Euler's identity was also mentioned as a beautiful relationship between important mathematical constants.
Continuity in the way I first heard it:

A funtion [tex]f:A\subseteq\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/tex] is continuous if, for each [tex]x\in A[/tex] and each [tex]\varepsilon>0[/tex], we can find some [tex]\delta>0[/tex] such that [tex]|f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]|x-y|<\delta[/tex].

I know a lot of people tend not to like it when they first see it, but it was the first time I saw a mathematician take something so intuative then transform it into a solid mathematical form. That gave me a love of analysis/topology that I still hold. An alternative for me would possibly be the definition of the fundamental group.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what about the definition where f^-1(U) is open whenever U is open.

I like the classical form (I think because I have the memory "wow, maths can be beautiful" associated to it, rather than its intrinsic genius) but I can see why you like the more topological version.

compactness: every open cover has a finite subcover

I like the definition of NP the best. Easy to verify, hard to solve.

EternalVortex said:
I like the definition of NP the best. Easy to verify, hard to solve.

That's a good one.

All those cohomology business. It's hard to believe how much antisymmetry (of simplexes, tensor products..etc) gives you... Stokes theorem, De Rham's theorem and what not...even though I haven't fully understood them yet.

The definition of Lebesgue integral as well. To understand how Riez representation theorem falls right out of it is amazing.