Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most Beautiful Theory?

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    What's the most beautiful theory in Physics or Math you have ever read?
    For me, they are the Prime Number Theorem and the Theory of Relativity.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2
    I don't know enough about any particular theory to consider one more beautiful than the next, but I've read enough about relativity, so that is my choice.

4. Oct 21, 2016 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is a difference between "theory" and "theorem", at least in mathematics. Also, the term "theory" seems to have quite a different meaning depending on whether you ask a physical scientist or a mathematician.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  5. Oct 21, 2016 #4
    Evolution. I find the idea that all life on Earth is connected far more spiritual than any dogma.

6. Oct 24, 2016 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

math: limit
    physics: general relativity
    biology: evolution

7. Oct 26, 2016 #6
    I guess it's not a theory, but I recall that as I started learning about things in general, that the concept of closed-loop feedback just struck me as a 'beautiful' concept. I just found it fascinating that if you had reference to follow, it could be done with extreme accuracy, or new frequencies generated from a ref frequency, even with very loose tolerance parts. It's magic!

8. Oct 26, 2016 #7

BillTre

Science Advisor

biology: evolution
    life is a very complex information system​
    geology: tectonics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted