Least Exciting Areas of Physics: What Subfield Do You Find the Most Boring?

In summary, the conversation discusses the most boring subfields of physics. Some people find scattering theory, mudane and dry, while others find it interesting. Some find classical mechanics dull, while others find it fascinating. The topic of circuits is also brought up, with some finding it uninteresting and others finding it enjoyable. The importance of coatings and dry-time in paints is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the idea that what may seem boring to some, may be interesting to others, and that many areas of physics contain mind-expanding ideas that are not widely known.
Wminus
Hey guys

So I'm sure there are plenty of threads about what people think are the most exciting subfields, but what about the most boring? Which subfield of physics did you enjoy the least learning?

I'll begin. In my opinion it has to clearly be scattering theory & everything related (e.g. x-ray diffraction, electron diffraction etc.)- it's just so dry and tiresome. I get depressed just thinking about calculating another cross section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physical aspects of paint drying?

Borek said:
Actually, I found that quite interesting.

Likes beamie564, S.G. Janssens and Borek
OmCheeto said:
Actually, I found that quite interesting.
Thank you, that was really nice to watch. Maybe you could consider posting it in one of the video galleries elsewhere on this site?

Krylov said:
Thank you, that was really nice to watch. Maybe you could consider posting it in one of the video galleries elsewhere on this site?
I wouldn't know where to post it. So, be my guest.

And I'm embarrassed again, to say that I'm addicted to these "Sixty Symbols" videos.
It all started, when Greg posted a thread about Sean Carroll, and Sean went on and on, about something, and kept using the term "entropy", and I decided that I didn't really know what "entropy" was, so I watched about 5 instructional videos on the topic, and then ended up at the Sixty Symbols site. There, a "Mr. Moriarity" said that it was the umteenth time he'd tried to explain it. After watching their umteen videos on "entropy", it started to sink in.

OmCheeto said:
I wouldn't know where to post it. So, be my guest.
In case that you feel like, you can post it here: https://www.physicsforums.com/media/ and then click the "add media" button.

Wminus said:
I'll begin. In my opinion it has to clearly be scattering theory & everything related (e.g. x-ray diffraction, electron diffraction etc.)- it's just so dry and tiresome. I get depressed just thinking about calculating another cross section.

That's a shame that you feel that way. I thought scattering was mudane, then I had to develop techniques for analysing diffraction data from Synthrotrons - then I realized how truly interesting the field is.

Anyway - I've always found that if I found some aspect of my course uninteresting then it'd be because I hadn't been taught it either well enough or because the learning didn't go into enough depth.

Likes S.G. Janssens and cnh1995
Borek said:

Unsuitable language warning:

Likes collinsmark, Larry Gopnik, DennisN and 1 other person
I can't comment on which specific area of physics is most boring. But I will say that any purely algebra based physics course is quite boring.

Likes RogueOne
Calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficients by hand in my quantum mechanics class was pretty mind numbing.

To me the most boring area is the Acoustics. I don't know why I never ever liked it.

To me, nothing is more boring than something that is pointless. And this thread wins that easily.

Zz.

Likes LittleMrsMonkey, Vanadium 50, gleem and 2 others
dipole said:
Calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficients by hand in my quantum mechanics class was pretty mind numbing.

Yep that's def a contender too.

ZapperZ said:
To me, nothing is more boring than something that is pointless. And this thread wins that easily.

Zz.
Then you must be real pointless to be around.

Wminus.

Balls rolling down inclined planes.

(I only took one semester of physics and decided to stick with math after that).

And yes I know that's not an "area."

Likes Wminus
Back when I was an undergraduate, I did not like classical mechanics. I liked quantum mechanics. Later, I had an excellent theoretical physics prof in grad school. (In those days we took two semesters). Today, I favor classical mechanics and statistical mechanics over other areas.

I do not especially like elasticity and hydrodynamics, though, even though the same prof taught this in the second semester. I could see he was really into it though. He taught the same course from 1947-1980. (Same course in the curriculum, probably not entirely the same material in the same way)

I think almost any sub-area of physics can be interesting, if presented and approached properly. I think your favorite and disliked areas may change over the course of your career and lifetime.

Likes Wminus
Circuits easily. E&M is fun, but something about circuits just didn't really fit into the whole style of the subject.

Take this one seriously:
Borek said:

What might be dull to many may be both important and very interesting to someone else. Coatings are important for construction, maintenance, "cosmetics" of diverse kinds, and many functional purposes of paints, coatings, glue, nail polish. Dry-time can be a very important quality of a formula. Developers are using their technical skills and knowledge to study and try to adjust for greater or lesser dry-time. Application end-users need to be able to trust expected dry-time.

Likes RogueOne
I think this post is far from pointless. In reading the responses, I have learned that what many practitioner physicists consider dry and boring, others like. I never found calculating Clebsch Gordon coefficients as dull. I also found circuits far more interesting than calculating the magnetic field distribution in a sphere with a particular magnetic potential on the surface.

When I meet someone who finds out I am a physicist, they usually tell me about the TV program they saw, about time machines, warp drives, quantum consciousness, and some are more down to Earth and ask about relativity, quantum effects etc. The fact is many areas of physics that do not pervade the popular culture, for example, the behavior of the gyroscope, contains counter-intuitive mind expanding ideas, that are unadvertised.

A senior colleague who I worked with my first year of work told me about a young physicist he worked with in the past. After reading a particular chapter in Goldstein, he flipped the book in the air, (presumably around the intermediate axis). The senior colleague (mathematician), asked me years later, what was that about? I told him, but I was unsure whether he saw the significance.

FallenApple said:
Circuits easily. E&M is fun, but something about circuits just didn't really fit into the whole style of the subject.

IMO that's often the case when circuit analysis is taught through rules and rote, instead of being derived through rigorous physics. I guess it wasn't taught to you as a proper subfield of E&M, but just as some Electrical Engineering stuff?

dkotschessaa said:
Balls rolling down inclined planes.

(I only took one semester of physics and decided to stick with math after that).
This was boring to you? Ahaha I had so much fun with that and other objects down inclined planes, using them to calculate friction coefficients, gravity, etc.
Although honestly the fun part was deriving the physics and then seeing that the experiment matched the predicted values.

Wminus said:
IMO that's often the case when circuit analysis is taught through rules and rote, instead of being derived through rigorous physics. I guess it wasn't taught to you as a proper subfield of E&M, but just as some Electrical Engineering stuff?

More or less. Just ohms law and stuff like that. There is some physical intuition, such as currents spliting etc. But that's about it.

Battlemage! said:
This was boring to you? Ahaha I had so much fun with that and other objects down inclined planes, using them to calculate friction coefficients, gravity, etc.
Although honestly the fun part was deriving the physics and then seeing that the experiment matched the predicted values.

It may be this is the turning point where one realizes whether physics is their thing.

Likes Wminus and Battlemage!

1. What are some examples of "boring" areas of Physics?

Some examples of areas that may be considered "boring" in Physics include thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. These areas often involve complex mathematical calculations and may not have as many exciting applications as other areas of Physics.

2. Why are these areas often considered boring?

These areas may be considered boring because they can be difficult to understand and require a strong background in mathematics. They also may not have as many real-world applications that capture the public's interest compared to other areas of Physics, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics.

3. Is there any value in studying these "boring" areas of Physics?

Absolutely! While these areas may not have as much public appeal, they are crucial for understanding and explaining many natural phenomena. For example, thermodynamics helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems, while fluid dynamics helps us understand the flow of liquids and gases in various situations.

4. Are there any recent advancements or breakthroughs in these areas?

Yes, there have been many recent advancements in these areas of Physics. For example, breakthroughs in thermodynamics have led to more efficient energy production and storage technologies, while advancements in fluid dynamics have improved our understanding of weather patterns and ocean currents.

5. Can studying these "boring" areas lead to a career in Physics?

Absolutely! Many careers in Physics, such as engineering, require a strong understanding of these "boring" areas. Additionally, studying these areas can also lead to careers in research, teaching, and other fields that require a strong background in Physics.