1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most dynamic substance

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    Well, once again, I ask something about index of refraction.
    What is the substance that suffers the greatest change in density when heated/cooled (so that by heating it up only a few degrees its index of refraction will change, even if just by a tiny bit)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I have some plastic at home for modelling things. It becomes extremely pliant in hot water (below boiling), so I expect that its I of R changes significantly. Mine isn't transparent, though, so I can't test it. Gelatin dissolved in hot water changes as it cools. Since the electronic structure of piezo crystals changes under pressure, perhaps it their I of R does too. Egg white definitely becomes opaque as you cook it, so other protein structures should as well. Maybe grab a cornea from a dissected frog and give it a shot.

By the way, though... it gets a little confusing having parallel threads on essentially the same topic. It will be easier for all concerned if you integrate them.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  4. Oct 11, 2005 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Materials that exhibit a large refractive index change with temperature are generally termed Thermo-optic materials. Polymers in general, have the highest refractive index change with temperature, however they are highly birefringent compared to glass.

Claude.

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4
    Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook