Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most effective spam ever?

1. Jan 6, 2004 #1
    To your knowledge, what has been the most effective spam in the history of the Internet?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2004 #2
    The popups that claim you have a virus....almost every computer "user" i know has clicked on these...

-Ty

4. Jan 7, 2004 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

The most effective against me has been the stuff I actually invited - not that I asked for spam, but that I dealt with the merchant and they sent me spam. It actually advertised something I was in the market to buy. I don't know if that qualifies as spam though.

Judging from what I receive, I would guess greeting cards and penis enlargement are the most effective spam areas against the general public. Perhaps combining the two would be very profitable. Happy Penis Enlargement Day everyone!

Njorl

PS - OT, but have you heard about the new extortion spam? People send you email saying they will download illicit material to your PC and call the authorities if you don't send them money. Ha!

5. Jan 7, 2004 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

most effective spam...well, i am not sure if this classifies as spam, but those damned pop up ads REALLY aggravate me...

6. Jan 7, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't get spam

7. Jan 7, 2004 #6
    Personally for me, the spam from the King of Bantu telling me that I will receive 50 million dollars if I give him my entire life savings. It's good to know that there's still good samaritans out there.

8. Jan 7, 2004 #7
    I personally don't eat spam.

But why would you buy it over the internet when you can go to the supermarket?

9. Jan 7, 2004 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

Anybody listen to the Kojo Mnamdi show? He had his "Computer Guys" on yesterday. They were saying spam is here to stay. The only fight going on is between large established advertisers and ... well... people who want to be able to commit fraud. So far, the frauds are winning, but in the long run, I think the corporate giants will win.

It's like lions and hyenas fighting over a dead zebra. Whoever wins, the zebra is still dead.

Njorl

10. Jan 7, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use Mozilla Firebird, and you have no more popups or ads or flash animations.

Use a real mail server, and you have no more spam. Easy, really.

- Warren

11. Jan 7, 2004 #10
    :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?