Most Favourite Actors

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, Hollywood celebrities Shahrukh Khan and Katrina Kaif are my favorites, followed by Jason Statham and Kirsten dunst. I like Edward Norton, Robert Mitchum, Tony Curtis, Gene Kelly, and Peter Sellers. My all time favorite actor is Johnny Depp.
zorro
Who is your all time favourite actor (male and female) in :

1. Bollywood
2. Hollywood ?

This is my choice-
1. Shahrukh Khan and Katrina Kaif
2. Jason Statham and Kirsten dunst

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say that I have a particular favorite, but I do have a set of favorites:

Yul Brynner
James Stewart
Henry Fonda
Robert Mitchum
Tony Curtis
Gene Kelly
Gary Cooper
Peter Sellers
Alec Guinness
Patrick McGoohan
Richard Harris
Kirk Douglas
Richard Widmark
Victor Mature
Humphrey Bogart
Clint Eastwood
Charleton Heston
John Wayne

There's probably a few more I could name, but those are off the top of my head.

What can I say - I'm old. :approve:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I wouldn't say that I have a particular favorite, but I do have a set of favorites:

Yul Brynner
James Stewart
Henry Fonda
Robert Mitchum
Tony Curtis
Gene Kelly
Gary Cooper
Peter Sellers
Alec Guinness
Patrick McGoohan
Richard Harris
Kurt Douglas
Richard Widmark
Victor Mature
Humphrey Bogart
Clint Eastwood
Charleton Heston
John Wayne

There's probably a few more I could name, but those are off the top of my head.

What can I say - I'm old. :approve:

:bugeye:
No one from this generation? :biggrin:

Johnny Depp is the only actor from this generation. No actresses of any merit that I can think of.

No actresses of any merit that I can think of.

lol
Women are always reluctant to talk about their favourite actresses. What could be the reason?

I enjoy Tom Hanks films.

Mororvia said:
I enjoy Tom Hanks films.

I like two of his movies very much - 'The Terminal' and 'Cast Away'

Edward Norton

I have been watching a good number of foreign films but haven't gotten around to Bollywood yet. Does the Kama Sutra count? :biggrin:

One of my newest favorites is Russell Crowe. We just watched The Insider, which was very good but not his best work. I really liked Cinderella Man, and of course, A Beautiful Mind.

I don't like all of Johnny Depp's films but he is still awesome! I would definitely rank him as one of the best.

Evo, did you see where Depp appeared at an elementary school in full [pirate] costume, to assist with a mutiny, at the request of a student? How popular do you think she was after that one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbY4mpgAgvY

Last edited:
I tend to favour character actors. Some of my favourites are Brad Douriff, Marc Alaimo, and others of that ilk. G.W. Bailey was kind enough to spend about 5 minutes speaking with me at my bar a few years back. He was treating the tech crew of his movie to a night out, and I was on security duty. That makes him a class-act in my book.
Oh, and I shared a scene with Christopher Reeve in Superman III. Off camera, he was the sweetest and most modest fellow that you could ever hope to meet. I was just an extra, but he stood behind me in line at the craft tent rather than have a catered meal in his trailer. I've never forgotten that, and I never will.

Danger said:
Oh, and I shared a scene with Christopher Reeve in Superman III. Off camera, he was the sweetest and most modest fellow that you could ever hope to meet.

You are lucky Dan! Whenever I think of Superman it is he who comes in my mind :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
I have been watching a good number of foreign films but haven't gotten around to Bollywood yet. Does the Kama Sutra count? :biggrin:

Haha.
You should start watching them!

One of my newest favorites is Russell Crowe.

The question includes female actors too :rolleyes:

A few more:

Gregory Peck
Burt Lancaster
Laurence Olivier
Steve McQueen
Sidney Poitier
Bill Cosby
Spencer Tracy
James Garner
Rock Hudson
Sean Connery
Jack Lemmon
George Burns
Fred Astaire
Rober Redford
Donald Sutherland
Bruce Dern
Pierce Brosnan
Howard Keel

More contemporary:
James Earl Jones
Johnny Depp
Hugh Jackman
Russell Crowe
Dwayne Johnson
Karl Urban
Matt Damon

Actresses:
Katherine Hepburn
Ingrid Bergman
Deborah Kerr
Diana Rigg
Elizabeth Taylor
Audrey Hepburn
Grace Kelly
Vivien Leigh
Sophia Loren
Rita Hayworth
Ava Gardner
Ginger Rogers

More Contemporary:
Meryl Streep
Dixie Carter
Joan Allen
Rosamund Pike

Drew Barrymore in comedies, Sandra Bullock in comedies and Julia Roberts in some comedies like My best Friend's Wedding, Cameron Diaz in "Something About Mary".

Older actresses, Elsa Lanchester, Loretta Young, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball was the greatest comedic actress of all time.

Russel crowe is the king of acting in hollywood. the surprising part though is that he is not American. Gladiator, a beautiful mind and the insider.

My wife votes for Jimmy Stewart, over and over and over and...OK, you get it.

I'd like to add Bogart, Freeman, and Hanks.

There are few ladies that I put 'way up there. Bacall had looks and an attitude about her, but did she have a role that challenged her? Don't think so.

Griffith? Nope
Roberts? Nope
Jolie? Not really

Who is a really compelling actress from the last 30 years or so? Maybe I'm just jaded.

OK Bullock in "miss congeniality" and Hawn in "overboard" Both too entertaining to pass up.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Bacall had looks and an attitude about her, but did she have a role that challenged her?

I can't figure out that thing about actors needing to be "challenged" or "feeling" something. Just follow the instructions in the script. I've acted, and I've written. In any screenplay that I've written, every facial twitch was specified. I "saw" through the camera while writing. When acting in my 5 movies, I was only an extra and was thus not issued a script. The director told me what he wanted me to do, and I did it within the set parameters. I would have felt like a total loser if I had tried to insert my own personality into the scene, and it probably would have ruined the shot.

And despite my extreme horniness for Sandra Bullock and Angie Harmon, I still maintain that Audrey Hepburn was the most beautiful woman who ever lived. (Yes, I realize that she was old enough to be my mother, but if she had been, she couldn't have weaned me with a crowbar.)

Danger said:
And despite my extreme horniness for Sandra Bullock and Angie Harmon, I still maintain that Audrey Hepburn was the most beautiful woman who ever lived. (Yes, I realize that she was old enough to be my mother, but if she had been, she couldn't have weaned me with a crowbar.)
OK, for sheer sexiness, Ingrid Bergman has it, IMO. But why is there no comparable modern actress?

turbo-1 said:
OK, for sheer sexiness, Ingrid Bergman has it, IMO. But why is there no comparable modern actress?

Perhaps because now they are more groomed for that than for talent? Ingrid was hot, but I still prefer Audrey.

not a big movie fan here, at least with mainstream stuff (can movies be "pop"?). and don't know anything at all about bollywood.

but, a couple that come to mind. maybe add some more later. some, i may like something they were in, but maybe not sure they're that great in general.

William H. Macy
Charlize Theron

haris123 said:
Russel crowe is the king of acting in hollywood. the surprising part though is that he is not American. Gladiator, a beautiful mind and the insider.
Russel Crowe, worst actor in Robin Hood.

A few of my favorites are Edward Norton, Johnny Depp, and Leonardo DiCaprio. All three have played some incredibly believable characters.

Benny and Joon is my favorite Johnny Depp movie.

My favorite actress is Meryl Streep. Her performance in Doubt is outstanding.

Last edited:
Evo said:

Never saw it. Did you like Cinderella Man?

I need to think about my favorite female actresses at this point. Streep has long been at the top of my list, but I seem to be brain locking on this one [too much work this week].

Abdul Quadeer said:
You are lucky Dan! Whenever I think of Superman it is he who comes in my mind :smile:

I somehow got distracted from responding to this until now. I agree with you. One thing that I will say, though, is that Brandon Routh did a remarkable job of emulating him without trying to copy him (I know that sounds contradictory, but it's the only way that I can think of to state it.)

Marlon Brando and Paul Newman...

As for actresses : Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman...

Few names that come to mind for superb acting and (possibly) choice of movies:

Leonardo diCaprio
Kate Winslet (though not both in Revolutionary Road)
Ewan McGregor
Bette Midler (catch her in Stella)
Meryl Streep

Shah Rukh Khan
Kajol
Rani Mukherjee
(Got hooked to Bollywood for a while after watching Kuch Kuch Hota Hai!)

(oops.. numbering is off!)

Last edited:
Evo said:

perhaps you should define what acting is. if you didn't like his role in robinhood than you can't appreciate gladiator too for which he got an oscar. that simply means you don't like him. i can assure you he will get an oscar nomination for his role in robinhood.

xunxine said:
Few names that come to mind for superb acting and (possibly) choice of movies:

Leonardo diCaprio
Kate Winslet (though not both in Revolutionary Road)
Ewan McGregor
Bette Midler (catch her in Stella)
Meryl Streep

Shah Rukh Khan
Kajol
Rani Mukherjee
(Got hooked to Bollywood for a while after watching Kuch Kuch Hota Hai!)

(oops.. numbering is off!)

If you like 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' type movies, then I recommend you these-
1. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (one of my fav)
2. Kal Ho Na Ho
3. Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham

Abdul Quadeer said:
If you like 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' type movies, then I recommend you these-
1. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (one of my fav)
2. Kal Ho Na Ho
3. Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham

Yes I've watched all these. Some parts are too much on the drama side.

Recently I watched "3 Idiots". Highly recommended for PFers! There's a bit of science & engineering in there! :biggrin:

xunxine said:
Recently I watched "3 Idiots". Highly recommended for PFers! There's a bit of science & engineering in there! :biggrin:

3 IDIOTS? I watched that film around 30 times!
I too request all PFers to watch it if you like Science + Humour.

1. Who is considered the most favourite actor of all time?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. Some popular choices for the most favourite actor of all time include Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep, and Marlon Brando.

2. Who is the most favourite actor among millennials?

Again, this answer can vary based on individual preferences. However, some actors who have gained popularity among millennials include Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, and Chris Pratt.

3. Who is the most favourite actor in Hollywood currently?

There are many talented actors in Hollywood currently, but some of the most popular and critically acclaimed include Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, and Tom Hardy.

4. What qualities make an actor a fan favourite?

Some qualities that make an actor a fan favourite include their ability to portray a wide range of characters, their charisma and likability on screen, and their dedication to their craft.

5. Who is the most favourite actor in terms of box office success?

This answer can change depending on the success of recent films, but actors who consistently rank high in terms of box office success include Dwayne Johnson, Robert Downey Jr., and Scarlett Johansson.