Most Frustrating, Embarrassing Brain Farts

• Thread starter Jilvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, this physics guru had difficulty solving a problem in which he was required to show a velocity-dependent force. After trying different methods, he realized that he could divide the equation by the v2 term to separate the variables.
Jilvin
I am a "physics guru", at least at my high school's level (which isn't really anything at all). I know several advanced integration techniques, linear algebra, and fairly advanced methods for solving differential equations. Even with all of this mathematics background, I still have not taken the AP Physics C exam due to my school's (in my personal opinion) lax curriculum not offering it as of now.
So, with my 8 dollar "University Physics" book, I scanned through to the "challenge problems" (which only take about a minute or two of thought to complete). One of the problems had me analyze certain properties of the equation (showing a velocity dependent force):

m(dv/dt)= Cv2

So, with all my arrogance and background, I tackled this problem. However, I soon became infuriated by the fact that I could not integrate the RHS with respect to time! I drastically manipulated differentials, but it was of no use! This simple problem had stumped me!

Then, about an hour after I had given up in despair, I realized that the left hand side of the equation existed and that I could divide by the v2 term to separate the variables. Wow. Just... wow. Does anybody else have these discouragingly terrible brain farts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Want_A_Cookie.jpg

0170.jpg

oh you I answered my age wrong ...twice -_-
I think I can think of e=mc^2 faster than my age xD

I think everyone has used a property of logarithms wrong at least once in a long, complicated problem and had to retrace their steps until they saw the boneheaded nonsense log(a + b) = log(a)log(b) in some dense block. Or maybe that's just me. :p
Also, 2 + 3 = 6, of course.

My theory is that 10% of all differentiations end up as integrations and 10% of integrations end up as differentiations.:cry:.It's sort of like a mathematical uncertainty principle.

Have you never canceled out 2s?

[tex]\frac 2 2 = 0[/tex]

Borek said:

[tex]\frac 2 2 = 0[/tex]

:rofl:

:redface:...:shy:...:frown:...:grumpy:...:mad:...:devil:----- Get it?! :biggrin:

Borek said:

[tex]\frac 2 2 = 0[/tex]

I probably have. I know for sure I did this once on a test:

(x + y)3 = x3 + y3

:redface:

Can't we talk about our infallible moments of lucid insight instead? Much shorter list.

[PLAIN]http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/profile-ak-snc4/object2/1868/74/n190172509102_8960.jpg
[PLAIN]http://www.freewebs.com/fos08/Jokes/funny%20maths%201.JPG
[PLAIN]http://haha.nu/files/uploads/farm1.static.flickr.com/170/371722884_a8d1da8f44_o.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.woosk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/whale.jpg

Borek said:

[tex]\frac 2 2 = 0[/tex]

Way too many times...

lisab said:

(x + y)3 = x3 + y3

Eek!:rofl:

Then again, I can't even recall the last time I sat for a test that even remotely asked a question like that.

lisab said:

(x + y)3 = x3 + y3

Of course, one of x or y was 0, right? :tongue:

PracticeFish said:
Of course, x=y=0, right? :tongue:

x=-y

PS: Hey! You did it actually in the thread!

Upisoft said:
x=-y

PS: Hey! You did it actually in the thread!

Damn, me too. There are 2 more solutions:
x = 0 and y = 0

I was asking you all for your personal worst brain farts, but posting complete nonsense is also fine I guess.

1. What exactly is a "brain fart"?

A "brain fart" is a colloquial term for a temporary lapse in cognitive function, often resulting in forgetfulness or making a mistake. It can also be described as a momentary mental block or lapse in concentration.

2. Are brain farts a sign of a more serious cognitive issue?

No, brain farts are a common occurrence and are not typically a sign of a serious cognitive issue. They are a normal part of our brain's functioning and can happen to anyone.

3. What causes brain farts?

Brain farts can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, fatigue, lack of sleep, distraction, and even something as simple as aging. They can also be triggered by specific situations or tasks that require a lot of mental effort.

4. How can I avoid brain farts?

While it's impossible to completely avoid brain farts, there are some strategies that may help reduce their frequency. These include getting enough sleep, managing stress levels, staying organized, and taking breaks when working on mentally demanding tasks.

5. Can brain farts be beneficial in any way?

Yes, brain farts can actually be beneficial in some cases. They can help our brains recharge and refocus, and they can also lead to creative problem-solving and out-of-the-box thinking. However, if brain farts are occurring frequently and impacting daily life, it may be a good idea to talk to a healthcare professional.