Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most Fundamental Equations

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    What would be the most fundamental equations in physics? For example, I know that all of electrodynamics can be obtained from Maxwell's Equations; therefore, Maxwell's Equations would be a complete set of the most fundamental equations of EM. However, something like PV=nRT can be derived from other equations of motion so it is not a fundamental equation.

In other words, what is the smallest set of equations from which all of physics could be recovered? Kind of like the equivalent of the ZFC Set Theory axioms (from which, in theory, all of math can be derived) but for physics. I would guess that it would be the Einstein Equation and some equations of the Standard Model.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2
    As kind of a follow up, what would be the most fundamental constants? For example, c, μo, and εo would not all be include since any one can be derived from the other two.

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3

I don't know, but I have done Google searches on "fundamental constants" that gave me the answers.

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4
    I would say all three of Newton's Laws could be obtained from [itex] F = \frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T} [/itex] so it would be pretty fundamental.

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5
    But Newton's Laws aren't valid. You have to use relativity, that's why I suggested Einstein's Equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook