Unbelievable Idiocy on Display: Exploring the Most Ridiculous ATS Thread

• Thread starter moose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: Which means I am a senior in high school. Not "halfway through".But I guess that's what I get for "assuming".In summary, this conversation on the Above Top Secret forum showcases a series of replies from different users that are completely nonsensical and absurd. People are discussing topics like traveling at the speed of light, the moon's gravity, and manipulating gravity on different planets. However, their lack of logical thinking and understanding of basic scientific concepts is quite evident. Despite the site's motto being "Deny Ignorance," it seems that many of its forum participants are not living up to it. Overall, the conversation is both funny and concerning, as it raises questions about the effectiveness of
moose
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow, thanks for that laugh. "I believe it was Einstein that said if you travel at light-speed you can be your own grandfather. Therefore light-speed is impossible." "Not that the moon's a planet, but it has no gravity." Then there's this gem:

"Yo, i think going the speed of light is possible, but it may be easier to complete in space. Where their is no stress. has anyone though about how much radiation is in space?"

What on Earth does that even mean? Is he trying to say that the only reason we can't travel at light-speed is air resistance, but it can be done in space?

It just shows how tons of people have a complete lack of logical thinking. I remember a thread about a hoverboard...
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread134016/pg1

here's the link, its funny because he says
it is about amplifying the tiny natural pulses of an electromagnet, a feature not commonly known about, unless you look very hard on the internet

wow, just wow

It's not like despicable use of logic is made by its participants; they just state absurd things... but they sure are incredibly funny to read. Makes you wonder if all this scientific vulgarisation is a good thing or not though.

I particularly like

Yo, i think going the speed of light is possible, but it may be easier to complete in space. Where their is no stress. has anyone though about how much radiation is in space?

Poor bastard. :tongue2:

moose said:
it is about amplifying the tiny natural pulses of an electromagnet, a feature not commonly known about, unless you look very hard on the internet

Phew... I have finally stopped laughing at this, and can now type this message. Oh no, it'S starting again :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

c = speed of light = 3*10^cm/s; 186,000 mps; 300,000 k/s

beautiful.

The 4th post was actually going rather well for the first few words. Then they remembered to be idiots.

Fighter Master's post was going well until the lack of typing stopped and then he started talking.

oops...
although relativity has pointed out that the rate of perceived time passage can vary depending on other factors like mass and kinetic energy (due to velocity, etc.) time still moves forward ... our physicists' definition of time being able to change scales just means the speed of how fast things happen can vary in certain conditions.

Last edited:
And another gem

light speed is slow for space travel. i don't think its veasable to become your grandfather at 186000m/ps

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and look at the motto of the site at the top left! "Deny Ignorance"

I guess the makers of the site need to re-focus their efforts on exactly who they attract to their forums.

Last edited:
I loved the years of my stupidity.. ahh the good old HS Physics class

F=ma

E=mc^2

cronxeh: "Well, naturally, m=F/a, E=(Fc^2)/a.. where is my Nobel prize?!"

"This artical got me to thinking there's labs that have clamed to have goton light to go 300 TIMES faster then normal and at a normal 186,000mph (apx) that comes out to a woppion 55.800.000 yes that's a trip to Mars in under an hour . "

I guess light slowed down quite a bit :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

let's look at how stupid this is. schmidt1989, i am assuming was born in 1989. meaning that he is half-way through high school. I was bor in 1992. I am in 8th grade. schmidt thinks that travleing at the speed of light will make you become your grandfather. I understand the *real* concepts of relativity, and the *real* grandfather paradox. this puts schmidt at a:
6th grade level.

OMG! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: This sounds like something out of a JayWalking episode on the Tonight Show. :rofl:

Only possible way to go back in time by speed is going faster than light. but then you will only be in the past away from earth... You can't be in the past ON earth.

:rofl: Someone should stop them before they hurt themselves, but I can't stop laughing long enough.

cronxeh said:
I loved the years of my stupidity.. ahh the good old HS Physics class

F=ma

E=mc^2

cronxeh: "Well, naturally, m=F/a, E=(Fc^2)/a.. where is my Nobel prize?!"
Sorry that's just absolutely hilarious.

yomamma said:
:rofl: :rofl:

let's look at how stupid this is. schmidt1989, i am assuming was born in 1989. meaning that he is half-way through high school. I was bor in 1992. I am in 8th grade. schmidt thinks that travleing at the speed of light will make you become your grandfather. I understand the *real* concepts of relativity, and the *real* grandfather paradox. this puts schmidt at a:
6th grade level.

Sadly, I was about to ask what ages anyone thought these people were. These sound like those "History according to 4th graders" type jokes teachers pass around with the really awful answers given on tests. Even their writing style seems like an elementary school level.

"I don't remember the actual amount of time lost at the speed of light but for some reason this figure sticks in my mind: For every year traveling at the speed of light, 40 years are lost. "

"Traveling at the speed of light without manipulating gravity is impossible."

"oh ok i see. would it be easier to distort gravity on a planet with gravity, like earth, or one without, like the moon...not that its a planet but it doesn't have any gravity. "

I wonder why they think that Earth has gravity, but moon somehow doesnt?

and

yomamma said:
6th grade level.

I was born in 1989...
I am really really tempted to post a link to timecube on there and see how many people believe in it.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
OMG! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: This sounds like something out of a JayWalking episode on the Tonight Show. :rofl:

:rofl: Someone should stop them before they hurt themselves, but I can't stop laughing long enough.
oh, I'm going to die laughing! :rofl:

can anyone get schmidt's email? I really want to speak to this guy! :rofl: :rofl:

Well yomamma its nice of you to connect with your old crowd [SIC!]

But you know, you immigrated to PF long time ago now.. perhaps you should move on :biggrin:

moose said:
I wonder why they think that Earth has gravity, but moon somehow doesnt?

roflmao. I wonder how they would be able to explain the moon landings!

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread158758/pg1

Oh god, abortion shoudl be legal and these people should have been aborted a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

(1) Space travel is not easy and the risk of death is always present. For example Apollo-1, Apollo 13, and Challenger. I'm sure there are a few more shuttle failures to mention here. Space travel is tough. Thats why rocket scientists have to be so smart.

Yah I remember watching those Apollo SHUTTLE missions all the time.

(2) Satellites are launched by all nations. The Russians were the first to do it.

Yah, everyone remember that satellite zimbabwe launched last week?

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:

Oh god, abortion shoudl be legal and these people should have been aborted a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

(3) Why has America or any other Country attempted to go to the Moon since 1969, if it was so important then, why is it no longer important ?
http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/2208/google1pd.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
it says in his profile that 'he hearts astronamy'. I wonder how much time he spent researching instead of looking at pictures of planets

his sig was also wrongly quoted from carl sagan's 'contact'

yomamma said:
it says in his profile that 'he hearts astronamy'. I wonder how much time he spent researching instead of looking at pictures of planets

his sig was also wrongly quoted from carl sagan's 'contact'

Maybe he got astrology confused with astronomy :bugeye:

wait wait wait.. before you go on knocking astrology, let me check my horoscope

What's worse is that some "members" here (although not for long) have actually posted links to www.abovetopsecret.com to validate their whacky claims. :bugeye: As if the fact that their screwball information is posted somewhere on the internet makes it valid. :rolleyes:

Likes CalcNerd
cronxeh said:
wait wait wait.. before you go on knocking astrology, let me check my horoscope

Cancer: You shall find idiotic people on a website that need to be locked up and taught basic everything

Damn astrology rocks.

Evo said:
What's worse is that some "members" here (although not for long) have actually posted links to www.abovetopsecret.com to validate their whacky claims. :bugeye: As if the fact that their screwball information is posted somewhere on the internet makes it valid. :rolleyes:
:bugeye:
Some people on ats have the title "intellectual genius"

Hopefully, schmidt will not join PF anytime soon

Your jumping to conclusions as well, we have had one major disaster, that was Columbia, if Discovery is found to have any crippling problems, the Russians are always there to help if it gets ugly.

Disgusting

You shall find idiotic people on a website that need to be locked up and taught basic everything
it is incredible that these people (or at least seem to) know how to work their computers.

Some people on ats have the title "intellectual genius"

obviously, the admins who give out that title do not deserve it themselves :rolleyes:

Pengwuino said:

Wait, wait, wait! Someone actually had a proper answer to that one! :bugeye:
It is well know that there are certain events in physics that are reversible, and those that are irreversible.

For example, the birth of a baby is irreversible. How could you possibly unbirth it?
:biggrin:

Not doubting you but could you give us a few examples.

Please don't use communications as an example.

I personally think the money wasted in NASA could be much better used to impact the lives of many daily.

What the hell? Might as well ask "Prove evolution is real, oh and don't use animals as an example"

i doubt its a hoax the moon landing and stuff, as for the shuttle it is OLD and I am sure they are due for retirement? don't USA have some new spacecraft that can be used like planes but can carry double the pay load the shuttle could and they use a new type of engine?

My IQ: 132...130...120...110...80...40...-30...

And most of these items could have been invented without spending BILLIONS to launch a craft into space.

Yah because we realized that there was a cheap and boring way to develop something and a incredibly expensive, dangerous, and exciting way to develop something and we of course, chose the latter for the fun of it.

Uhh Solar Panels they wouldn't be nearly as efficient as they are now without NASA involvement. And there ain't no such thing as a free lunch(= No such thing as "free energy")

heh, efficient. I suppose its all relative.

Last edited:
what an incredibly stupid bunch of poeple. talking about how there's proof of conspiracy theories, when there's no proof that they passed elementary school!

Moonbear said:
Wait, wait, wait! Someone actually had a proper answer to that one! :bugeye:

:biggrin:

Moonbear I know you are smiling because of that whole 'man spends his entire life trying to get back into one' line :approve:

yomamma said:
it is incredible that these people (or at least seem to) know how to work their computers.

obviously, the admins who give out that title do not deserve it themselves :rolleyes:

Some of the admin are actually smart.

For example this guy
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread131252/pg1

The shuttle launch pads are practically in my back yard, and while its sad to lose the crew, and yes there has been more than one crew lost, we get the added pleasure of possible radioactive fallout.

Well if it kills you, it'll all be worth it.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display" on ATS?</h2><p>The purpose of "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display" is to explore and discuss the most ridiculous threads on the online forum AboveTopSecret (ATS). These threads often contain outlandish and unfounded claims, and the purpose of the discussion is to analyze and debunk them.</p><h2>2. How are the threads chosen for "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display"?</h2><p>The threads are chosen based on their level of absurdity and popularity on ATS. The moderators of the discussion forum also take suggestions from members on which threads to feature.</p><h2>3. Is "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display" meant to ridicule or mock ATS members?</h2><p>No, the purpose of the discussion is not to ridicule or mock ATS members. It is meant to critically analyze and debunk the claims made in the chosen threads.</p><h2>4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display"?</h2><p>Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure respectful and productive discussion. Personal attacks and insults are not allowed, and all claims must be backed up with evidence or logical reasoning.</p><h2>5. How can I contribute to "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display"?</h2><p>If you come across a particularly ridiculous thread on ATS, you can suggest it to the moderators for consideration. You can also participate in the discussions by providing your own analysis and debunking of the claims made in the featured threads.</p>

1. What is the purpose of "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display" on ATS?

The purpose of "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display" is to explore and discuss the most ridiculous threads on the online forum AboveTopSecret (ATS). These threads often contain outlandish and unfounded claims, and the purpose of the discussion is to analyze and debunk them.

2. How are the threads chosen for "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display"?

The threads are chosen based on their level of absurdity and popularity on ATS. The moderators of the discussion forum also take suggestions from members on which threads to feature.

3. Is "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display" meant to ridicule or mock ATS members?

No, the purpose of the discussion is not to ridicule or mock ATS members. It is meant to critically analyze and debunk the claims made in the chosen threads.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display"?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure respectful and productive discussion. Personal attacks and insults are not allowed, and all claims must be backed up with evidence or logical reasoning.

5. How can I contribute to "Unbelievable Idiocy on Display"?

If you come across a particularly ridiculous thread on ATS, you can suggest it to the moderators for consideration. You can also participate in the discussions by providing your own analysis and debunking of the claims made in the featured threads.