Is the belief that things could always be worse helpful or harmful?

In summary: Honesty is based on the universe. And complex.In summary, honesty is often considered the most important value in life, although some may argue for values such as personal integrity or generosity. The idea of "honesty is the best policy" is generally agreed upon, but there are also instances where telling white lies may be necessary, such as in the case of surprise parties. However, there is a fine line between lying for the good of others and lying for personal gain, and it is important for individuals to be mindful of their intentions when choosing to be honest or not. Ultimately, honesty may be a difficult value to uphold, but it is one that is highly valued and appreciated in relationships and society as a whole.
Lisa! said:
I think people who aren't faithful ,are the most terrible kind of a liar!

I find it interesting that you rate lies by degrees of "wrongness", something that I do also. I'm not agreeing with your statement but I would say that most of us find certain lies worse than others. Why? Humans are so illogical sometimes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jameson said:
I find it interesting that you rate lies by degrees of "wrongness", something that I do also. I'm not agreeing with your statement but I would say that most of us find certain lies worse than others. Why? Humans are so illogical sometimes.
Yes,they are.I think the reason you do sth is important sometimes.Not all the time.
I think people who aren't faithful are lying somehow at least to themselves and telling a lie to yourself is really bad!it's difficult to explain why I think they're lying maybe because as you said "humans are so illogical sometimes."who knows maybe they're logical exactly when they have no reason to prove they're right!

Lisa! said:
Yes,they are.I think the reason you do sth is important sometimes.Not all the time.
I think people who aren't faithful are lying somehow at least to themselves and telling a lie to yourself is really bad!it's difficult to explain why I think they're lying maybe because as you said "humans are so illogical sometimes."who knows maybe they're logical exactly when they have no reason to prove they're right!

Can you really lay down a universal law that lying to yourself isn't really bad? Think of Hitler who lied to himself about the Jews, or Lenin who did so about the Kulaks. A person who systematically lies to himself is apt to act upon a falsehood, and that can lead anywhere.

Consider that someone who lies to their spouse hurts that person, and maybe a few others - children, members of their circle, etc. But someone who lies to themselves can hurt millions.

Lisa most humans on Earth lie to themselves...

1st of all every person has an image for himself in his mind, the picture must be beautifull to be bearable, fqaithgull or not, sometimes people convince themselves that they r soemthing they aren't and maybe cannot be..

Some people suddenly wake up and look carefully again, and discover the truth, and some don't...it's not because they r bad people who want to lie but it's how they see it.And even if they felt soemthing wron , this is hard to accept..

selfAdjoint said:
Can you really lay down a universal law that lying to yourself isn't really bad? Think of Hitler who lied to himself about the Jews, or Lenin who did so about the Kulaks. A person who systematically lies to himself is apt to act upon a falsehood, and that can lead anywhere.

Consider that someone who lies to their spouse hurts that person, and maybe a few others - children, members of their circle, etc. But someone who lies to themselves can hurt millions.
Why should I do that?I think it's really bad.How is it possible to know myself when I'm not honest with myself?and when I don't know myself how is it possible to know what I should be looking for in my life?

Bigger lie hurts more people.I don't know why I think first you should be dishonest with yourself then you can lie to others!
Sometimes we say sth that we don't believe it.maybe Hitler just lied to others not himself about Jews in order to achieve his goals.
Anyway could you please explain why you think Hitler and Lenin lied to themselves?I mean what kind of lie?and what do you think about all politiciens like Bush?are they lying to themselves too?and why?

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Lisa most humans on Earth lie to themselves...
That's why the world is so terrible.

1st of all every person has an image for himself in his mind, the picture must be beautifull to be bearable, fqaithgull or not, sometimes people convince themselves that they r soemthing they aren't and maybe cannot be..
I agree with you but sometimes people around someone are guilty about this unreal image.they never tell you what they really think about you.sometimes we think we're really good because others are worse...

Some people suddenly wake up and look carefully again, and discover the truth, and some don't...it's not because they r bad people who want to lie but it's how they see it.And even if they felt soemthing wron , this is hard to accept..
I don't think all of them are bad but at least I don't want to be one of them!

Yeah people can be guilty cause they don't look thoroughly but there r a lot of causes for that..

anyway,I can't trust all people's ideas about me!

Lisa! asks, "please expand"

1) Honesty is an expression of a person's actual interpretation of an occurance:

Invariably and unconsciously a person will favour one interpretation of an occurance than another. But this is more of an unconscious and autonomic response that is based in their genetic and environmental conditioning as well as how their brain has organized and expresses that conditioning.

2) Lies relate a person's consciously manipulated interpretation of an occurance:

Here we see the liar using their intellegent interpretation of occurances. They use only those elements of thought that serve their conscious and immediate requirments, disregarding the actual, physical sequences and occurances they have experienced.

There is honesty to be found in both of these actions. They are both human methodologies of surviving either physically, socially or economically.

The honest truth is that both processes are a matter of survival.

However, when you factor in sociopathological reasoning, the discussion transforms and you'd have to move this thread to the psychology section.

Lisa! said:
dextercioby,I'm really sorry for any woman who wants you to help.there's always worse and here you would be worse than his bf. :devil:
Ah, now that's a fallacy if ever I've seen one. Maybe you should start a topic about that next.

Smurf said:
Ah, now that's a fallacy if ever I've seen one

Look in the mirror and you'll see one! :wink:
. Maybe you should start a topic about that next.[/QUOTE]
about "There's always worse"?