Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most interested in which feature?

1. Study Groups

4 vote(s)
  2. Spell Check

11 vote(s)
  3. Personal Weather

1 vote(s)
  4. Quiz system (make and take)

6 vote(s)
  5. Science Glossary

9 vote(s)
  1. Jul 28, 2004 #1
    Most interested in which feature?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted for Spell Check since it is so badly needed.
  4. Aug 6, 2004 #3

mmmmm. take'n bake.
  5. Aug 6, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since there are so many members for whom English is not a first language, a spell check would be extremely useful.

I second Ivan on that.

Next in priority, I'd pick the science Glossary.

What's the quiz system thingy about ?
  6. Aug 8, 2004 #5
    There is no need for a spell-checker. I'm assuming this is the type of spell-checker in which you can click a button, and it'll underline all your spelling mistakes? A lot of people won't bother to go back, change their mistakes, then have the forum spell-check it again - then do the same thing over.

Besides, some of us already have spell-checkers built into our browsers that are much more efficient. Safari's spell-check underlines mistakes on the spot while you type, and you can fix them with a simple right-click. IESpell is similar.

AFAIK, you can basically make a quiz in which other users on the forum can take.

Just like Greg's description says.

Personal weather would be the coolest feature. You have a perfect glossary on Merriam-Webster.com.
  7. Aug 8, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I suppose a null vote is still a vote. I don't see much need for any of those suggestions. As has been pointed out, most people have the ability to spell-check, they just don't, or their spelling is so bad (we can generously assume it's because English is not their first language) that spell-check can't suggest anything useful. Besides, spell-check can't tell you if you have the right word, which is usually more important to clarity than a slightly mispelled one.

As for study groups and quizzes, I'm a bit beyond that stage of my life. I'm not sure how study groups would work here anyway. Would those be set up through a chat feature? Having led several study groups, I don't know how those would work when people aren't all in the same course covering the same material. I'm also a big fan of visual aids, so really don't know how that would work out here. But, like I said, I'm well past that stage of my life.

I already have personal weather on a number of other sites I visit, so really don't need it here too. Now, if it displayed a 5 day forecast without having to follow links, I might be interested. Most sites just display the current weather, which I can more accurately obtain by looking out the window.

A science glossary...hmmm...now that I've eliminated everything else, that sounds reasonable. I don't know how much I'd use it, but it seems like something that would be helpful for some people who get bogged down when limited understanding of technical terms prevents them from fully participating in a topic, especially if they have a LOT of questions of that nature that people get tired of answering them. I started out thinking that there's one of those in the back of every textbook, but I forget that this is the electronic age when people don't like the idea of dragging out a 1000 page text to look up a word, and not everyone has relevant textbooks on hand. So, I think I'm going to go check the science glossary option.
  8. Aug 11, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

I voted for Science Glossary because when I occasionally post on the science based forums, I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.
  9. Aug 11, 2004 #8
    Even though I'm a very good speller. Spell check and Science glossary would be the two most important features.
  10. Aug 23, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: uhh, hi.. :smile:

I uhhh, wanted to make a suggestion :biggrin: I know I've mentioned it before, the board is getting so.. grey.. is there any chance we get to have personalized skins? :shy:
  11. Aug 23, 2004 #10
    I'm actually working on a new skin, should be ready in a couple weeks :smile:
  12. Aug 23, 2004 #11

Science Advisor

Dang, I found this thread too late! "Personal weather" would have been keen. I would have it thunderstorm every evening!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?