Most Likes Page: @mfb Approaching 5000 Likes on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the "likes" page on the Physics Forums and specifically mentioned @mfb's approaching milestone of 5000 "likes". Some users expressed interest in watching the top 20 members on the page who have put in a lot of time and effort on the site. Others joked about the unfair advantage of being a cute puppy dog and how it may affect the number of "likes" received. The conversation also touched on the importance of the "likes" statistic and how it can be an indicator of the effort put into solving complex questions. Some users also shared their thoughts on a song referenced in the conversation. In summary, the conversation was a mix of congratulations, humor, and appreciation for the "likes" page
Drakkith said:
It doesn't need to be Friday the 13th to be afraid of that slobbering beast that haunts this forum...
@Drakkith You are apparently going to need to post in a regular section to ring up #19,000. That one didn't get counted! (You are still at 18,999).

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
@Drakkith You are apparently going to need to post in a regular section to ring up #19,000. That one didn't get counted!

No worries. I'm just, uhh, biding my time?

Drakkith said:
No worries. I'm just, uhh, biding my time?
@Drakkith I see you are now at 19,000 messages. The day is now complete. You both made 3000+ "likes", and @phinds made 13,000 messages. The President's lounge has two new people, so everything is in order. :)

Likes Evo and Drakkith
Drakkith said:
It doesn't need to be Friday the 13th to be afraid of that slobbering beast that haunts this forum...
Hey I KNOW who you're talking about here and I'll have you know that I hardly slobber at all. Hardly. Well, not too much.

Likes Borg and Drakkith
We missed @berkeman reaching 3000 last week. Welcome to the newly renovated and expanded president's lounge!

@Mark44 and @Chestermiller are just 31 and 36 away, respectively.

Likes Charles Link, vanhees71 and berkeman
mfb said:
We missed @berkeman reaching 3000 last week. Welcome to the newly renovated and expanded president's lounge!

@Mark44 and @Chestermiller are just 31 and 36 away, respectively.
Before long, 3k likes will be necessary to enter the most likes page at all ...

Likes Evo
I'd like to see a "messages to likes" batting average measurement (for populist postings).

Orodruin said:
Sigh. Its just like Hi-scores of yore all over again.

You get your best score at the arcade, and it's on the home screen for, like, an hour, before it's pushed off the bottom.

Hey, there's an idea! @Greg Bernhardt : Reset the Most likes List every night when you lock up.

Orodruin said:
Very shortly, it appears 18 of the top 20 will have 3000+. @Greg Bernhardt : It might be interesting to see the top 30 or 35.

DaveC426913 said:
Sigh. Its just like Hi-scores of yore all over again.

You get your best score at the arcade, and it's on the home screen for, like, an hour, before it's pushed off the bottom.

Hey, there's an idea! @Greg Bernhardt : Reset the Most likes List every night when you lock up.
Dave, for old folks like us that were posting LONG before the likes were around, we will always have a low likes to post ratio. WE know we're the best, that's all that counts. Yeah! :oldgrumpy:

Likes WWGD, berkeman, jedishrfu and 2 others
jedishrfu said:
I'd like to see a "messages to likes" batting average measurement (for populist postings).
We have users all the way from from "1000 post, no likes" (stopped posting before the "like" system was introduced) to "50 posts, 800 likes" (posts mainly in GD where the posts are not counted) - but the difference doesn't come from how much the posts are liked.

Likes jedishrfu
We need a stock split to make things more affordable...

Likes DaveC426913 and Borg
Congratulations @Chestermiller ! You just reached 3000 "likes" and made it to the President's Lounge. The Physics Forums President's Lounge now has a Thermodynamics Expert. I think that is a major addition. Congratulations! :) :)

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi, cnh1995 and mfb
Charles Link said:
The Physics Forums President's Lounge now has a Thermodynamics Expert.
Lordy, don't anyone engage in a debate with him!

You can't win.
You can't reach a draw.
And you can't even stop playing with him!

ba-ZING! :woot:

Likes BillTre, cnh1995, Drakkith and 2 others
I see @Dale is one "like" away from being in the President's Lounge. Congratulations @Dale ! :bow: ## \\ ## And I also see @Drakkith has a birthday today. Happy Birthday @Drakkith !:partytime:

Likes Comeback City, Jahnavi, Dale and 1 other person
Kind of unusual that a former staff member, Hurkyl, had some 13 likes with 14K + posts .

phinds said:
Numerology: I hit 13,000 posts and 3,000 likes on the same day. The difference is 10,000. It's space aliens I tell you !
I remember Reggie Jackson saying , when he was told he was hitting .286 , some 2,000 hits in 7,000 at bats: " I've gone 0 for 5,000" .

Likes Charles Link
WWGD said:
Kind of unusual that a former staff member, Hurkyl, had some 13 likes with 14K + posts .
I think they didn't start counting "likes" until about 2009. Perhaps someone can put a more exact date on that.

Charles Link said:
I think they didn't start counting "likes" until about 2009. Perhaps someone can put a more exact date on that.
Could be, he is a former Staff.

WWGD said:

At the time Hurkyl made his posts, Physics Forums did not have a "Like" option; similarly for many of the posts by the "oldtimers".

Likes WWGD and Charles Link
Charles Link said:
I see @Dale is one "like" away from being in the President's Lounge. Congratulations @Dale ! :bow: ## \\ ## And I also see @Drakkith has a birthday today. Happy Birthday @Drakkith !:partytime:
Oh, I didn’t know that. Cool!

Likes Charles Link
Dale said:
You just made 3000 !

Charles Link said:
You just made 3000 !
Hahaha! That was your like that put me over the top. Many thanks

Likes Charles Link
Dale said:
You and Albert Pujols. So close! Conspiracy? I think not!

Likes Charles Link
WWGD said:
You and Albert Pujols. So close! Conspiracy? I think not!
A google shows Albert Pujols just got hit #3000 on May 5, 2018.

Likes WWGD
Charles Link said:
A google shows Albert Pujols just got hit #3000 on May 5, 2018.
Kind of close, though. How about a perfect match for 4,000? Bah, Pujols will likely be out of the game before 3,100.

Charles Link said:
And I also see @Drakkith has a birthday today. Happy Birthday @Drakkith !:partytime:
:woot::woot::woot::woot:
:partytime::partytime:
Party time!

Likes Dale, phinds, WWGD and 1 other person
Charles Link said:
I see @Dale is one "like" away from being in the President's Lounge. Congratulations @Dale ! :bow:
One spot left before the member list doesn't keep track of it any more.

The "like" function started counting somewhere in 2012 or 2013, back then it was called "thanks".

Likes Charles Link
Likes Charles Link
It looks like the Presidents Lounge (members who have 3000+ "likes"), will soon have 3 more members. @jedishrfu , @ZapperZ , and @sophiecentaur all have 2900+ "likes". These three have all been and are very important PF members who have made many, many valuable inputs. Congratulations to them. After these three, if my observations are correct, we don't have anyone else near 3000 "likes", but we do have a handful in the 2300-2500 group.

Likes vanhees71, sophiecentaur, PeroK and 1 other person
Charles Link said:
It looks like the Presidents Lounge (members who have 3000+ "likes")
Which lounge is @mfb in and how do I get a membership card? :biggrin:

Likes Charles Link
Still no trophy beyond 3000 :(.