Most Likes Page: @mfb Approaching 5000 Likes on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the "likes" page on the Physics Forums and specifically mentioned @mfb's approaching milestone of 5000 "likes". Some users expressed interest in watching the top 20 members on the page who have put in a lot of time and effort on the site. Others joked about the unfair advantage of being a cute puppy dog and how it may affect the number of "likes" received. The conversation also touched on the importance of the "likes" statistic and how it can be an indicator of the effort put into solving complex questions. Some users also shared their thoughts on a song referenced in the conversation. In summary, the conversation was a mix of congratulations, humor, and appreciation for the "likes" page
Sadly, @HallsofIvy no longer contributes here. He left for another math site some time ago.

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
I always like to look at the likes to messages ratio of an indicator of quality posts kind of like a batting average so that the number of likes or posts doesn’t matter so much.

Likes Charles Link
jedishrfu said:
I always like to look at the likes to messages ratio of an indicator of quality posts kind of like a batting average so that the number of likes or posts doesn’t matter so much.
@fresh_42 is clearly one of the leaders in that department. :wink:

Likes jedishrfu
I gave you a bump so you need fewer likes now.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
@fresh_42 is clearly one of the leaders in that department. :wink:

Yes, this is so true. I’m the dumbest math mentor both @fresh_42 and @Mark44 run rings around me so I have to regroup on the field of abstract algebra so my sentence will be commmuted. :-)

Likes Ibix, Mark44 and Charles Link
jedishrfu said:
Yes, this is so true. I’m the dumbest math mentor both @fresh_42 and @Mark44 run rings around me so I have to regroup on the field of abstract algebra so my sentence will be commmuted. :-)

Just have your sentences take the tram if you want them to commute. :rolleyes:

Likes phinds, fresh_42, Bystander and 3 others
Charles Link said:
Perhaps that will then put you back in the top slot again. :smile: The Sagan Award (5000 "likes") is worth 65 points, so you would then be 15 points ahead of the current leader @Orodruin .:wink:
He would have to be very fast for that to occur...
Orodruin said:
Based on post frequency I suspect I will reach the Einstein award before that happens ... In about three months ...
That was six weeks ago.

With half his post count berkeman would still be in the top 10 (at rank 9, just 20 posts behind Dale).
jedishrfu said:
Posts in the lounge don't increase the post counter but likes there do increase its counter. We have users with thousands of actual posts, hundreds of likes - and a post counter below 100. On the other hand we also have users who made thousands of posts before the like system was introduced, they naturally have a lower rate of likes.
And then there is the difference between funny posts and high quality science posts...

Likes jedishrfu, Charles Link and Orodruin
For example, @mfb just got an increase in likes without increasing post count from this thread. A very direct example ...

Likes jedishrfu, Charles Link and mfb
Charles Link said:
Berkeman is nearly 10,000 messages ahead of second place @Doc Al , 12,500+ ahead of 3rd place @HallsofIvy,
and nearly 20, 000 ahead of 4th place @ZapperZ.
Yeah, but it's not a fair comparison. All the other folks just log on from their phone or computer from time to time. @berkeman actually lives here. He rarely sleeps and when he does, Greg let's him use a cot in the back room. I'm not sure what Greg has on him but it must be good. :smile:

• Skeptical
Likes Charles Link, jedishrfu and berkeman
phinds said:
Yeah, but it's not a fair comparison. All the other folks just log on from their phone or computer from time to time. @berkeman actually lives here. He rarely sleeps and when he does, Greg let's him use a cot in the back room. I'm not sure what Greg has on him but it must be good. :smile:
@phinds I thought @berkeman is a paramedic in California. You must be joking, or Berkeman has figured out how to be in two places or more at the same time. LOL 😄 If I'm not mistaken, @Greg Bernhardt works out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.:nb)

Charles Link said:
You must be joking
Ya think ?

Likes Charles Link
@berkeman actually uses a telepresence robot that actively helps @Greg Bernhardt with the recent transition to a new PF.

I on the other hand am a true audioanthropomorphic computing machine using the latest quantum technology.

• Haha
Likes davenn, phinds and Charles Link
Charles Link said:
:smile::smile::smile: @fresh_42 is about to pass up @Greg Bernhardt for the #2 spot in most likes
Now he is 24 ahead.

Meanwhile @davenn is close to 5000 (31 to go) and the top 20 ends at over 3500 now.

• Wow
Likes jedishrfu, Charles Link and davenn
mfb said:
Now he is 24 ahead.
However, I'm going to ruin my posts to likes ratio in the weeks ahead. :frown:

Likes jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
However, I'm going to ruin my posts to likes ratio in the weeks ahead. :frown:
So, are you planning on starting a bunch of unlikeable threads? :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
phinds said:
So, are you planning on starting a bunch of unlikeable threads? :smile:
Let's start small: unlikable posts!

• Haha
Likes SammyS, phinds and jedishrfu

25 free points. Thank you very much! :cool:

Huh, interesting trophy. If Greg wouldn't have moved the Godfather to 10 years I would have exactly 1000 points now.

mfb said:
Huh, interesting trophy. If Greg wouldn't have moved the Godfather to 10 years I would have exactly 1000 points now.
This got me wondering how you could have such a nice round number so I had to check. You are missing one point for Happy Birthday! :))

Orodruin said:
You and @mfb have a few left to post before the ultimate Insights trophy!

Greg Bernhardt said:
You and @mfb have a few left to post before the ultimate Insights trophy!
Sounds like a challenge, it does, hmmmm.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Orodruin said:
View attachment 242388
Lucky you!
I had the same award which put me on 856 or was it 758? I could have sworn it was the 800 mark, since otherwise I wouldn't have remembered.

Then I received

which downgraded me on 783.

Likes Charles Link
Hi @Greg Bernhardt
Looks like the arithmetic went haywire. You should take a snapshot of the current standings=Most Points, just for the fun of it=I think it is incorrect...

Charles Link said:
Hi @Greg Bernhardt
Looks like the arithmetic went haywire. You should take a snapshot of the current standings=Most Points, just for the fun of it=I think it is incorrect...
The 1k club has currently been seriously decimated ... o0)

Likes Charles Link
Orodruin said:
The 1k club has currently been seriously decimated ... o0)
Looks like things are getting tallied up again, and the tallies are still not complete. I do think @Drakkith will place higher up once the tallies are completed. He was in the number 2 spot, and now he is down at number 8.

A big factor is that the "First Responder" trophies were removed because that was custom work that didn't transfer over.

Likes Charles Link
Greg Bernhardt said:
A big factor is that the "First Responder" trophies were removed because that was custom work that didn't transfer over.
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: I was killing it with all the workshop threads 😞

Likes Drakkith
Log out and log in again, that helps updating the trophies.
Greg Bernhardt said:
:(
Would have been interesting with the workshop threads. I was thinking about suggesting a counter but it looks like we lost that.

mfb said:
Would have been interesting with the workshop threads. I was thinking about suggesting a counter but it looks like we lost that.
I'll be manually handing out Workshop Trophies and already have given out the first round.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll be manually handing out Workshop Trophies and already have given out the first round.
You make me feel guilty. I wanted to be further than I am, but it is such a mess, esp. if you cannot ask for details.

fresh_42 said:
You make me feel guilty. I wanted to be further than I am, but it is such a mess, esp. if you cannot ask for details.
Our pace is awesome, it's a marathon. I have a few more levels of workshop trophies, don't worry 😉