Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most probable extreme value depending on sample size

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    Dear all,

I have read that if the distribution of [itex]X[/itex] belongs to the exponential family, then the maxima drawn from a sample of [itex] X [/itex] follow:

[itex] f(x) = \frac{1}{\beta} exp{(-\frac{x-\mu}{\beta} - exp{(-\frac{x-\mu}{\beta})})} [/itex]

in the limit of infinetely large sample. The above is apparently called the Gumbel distribution.

First I wonder if I correctly imagine the limiting process. Let us say I construct a histrogramme in the following way (in fact I did it on my computer). I draw [itex] M [/itex] Gaussian random numbers. I determine their maximum [itex] m_1 [/itex]. Then I repeat the process [itex] N [/itex] times to get maxima [itex]m_1,\dots m_N [/itex]. I draw a histogramme of the [itex] m_i [/itex]. Must I imagine the limiting process as requiring both [itex] M,N \rightarrow \infty [/itex] ? Shouldn't increasing [itex]M[/itex] lead to larger and larger maximum values, thereby shifting the distribution of maxima to the right, to larger [itex]\mu[/itex]? How can I then obtain well defined [itex]\mu, \beta[/itex] in the limit?

Second, let us imagine the histogrammes for finite [itex] M,N [/itex] like I have actually drawn them. Let us characterize them by the [itex] \tilde\mu, \tilde \beta [/itex] of the Gumbel distribution which fits them best. I want to ask, how the parameters [itex]\tilde\mu, \tilde\beta[/itex] depend on [itex]M[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex]. Namely for the case where [itex] X [/itex] is a normal distribution of mean zero and variance 1.

In my example programme I can see my histogrammes move, but I could only try a few sample sizes. And I would like to understand the whole question logically.:smile: My histogrammes look very much like a Gumbel distribution, but I don't know what parameters to expect from theory and I want to be sure my programme does the right thing!

Any help will be much appreciated,
    Angelos

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted