Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most re-watched movies, and why.

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While we're on a movie kick, what movies have you watched the most times, and what made you want to watch them more than once?

I knew of people in LA who had seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show hundreds of times. I never saw it until last year. My opinion: :eek:

Wizard of Oz: When I was a kid, this was on every year around Easter for some reason.

All That Jazz: I just loved that movie for some reason; I think because I feel a strong connection to the line and recurring theme, approx: "life is what happens while you're on the wire [referring to a tight-rope as a metaphor for taking risks], and the rest is just waiting".

Christmas TV movies: Watched as a kid for obvious reasons - ie. they were on every year.

Sound of Music - an all time family favorite

But beyond a doubt, Metropolis hooked me unlike any other movie. I probably watched it ten times within a month of the first viewing. So much about this movie works for me that I don't even know where to begin. It is a lesson for all time, a love story, a coming of age story, a science fiction story [the first to use the idea of a robot], a story about excess, social strife, and the separation of the classes. It is the story of how civilizations rise and fall, and a story that ends with hope and the dawn of a new age. It is also a story seen through the eyes of one of the all time grand masters of cinema.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2
    I have seen 'On Any Sunday' that old motorcycling movie from the 70's like a million times. It's a classic.

4. Jan 18, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Probably I would watch again any of the classics mentioned in this thread -
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106987

I remember 'On Any Sunday' - I have watched it twice. :biggrin:

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings - I have watched at least twice, and the SW trilogy probably several times - with the kids.

Mostly, for myself, I would not watch a movie more than twice, and often only once.

Part of a movie experience is sharing it with someone, and that would be the main motivation behind my first statement.

5. Jan 18, 2006 #4
    Seabiscuit, dozens of times already. I like the underdog theme.

Music Man, hundreds of times. I like the old fashioned feel.

The Harry Potter movies. I just like them. Probably some of the underdog theme working in them.

Space Cowboys, dozens of times. Just a "Yeehah!" type of fun movie, if you don't get caught up in the science. A little underdog theme in this also.

Galaxy Quest, dozens of times. Fish out of water theme and underdog theme. Fun movie.

M.P. and the Holy Grail, Murder by Death, Young Frankenstein, lots of times each. They're all fun movies.

Desk Set, dozens of times. Cute romance. Involves an engineer and computers, what's not to like?

Wackiest Ship in the Army, dozens of times. Underdog theme.

Vacation, dozens of times. Beverly DeAngleo's boobs. :biggrin: :uhh: did I write that outloud?

6. Jan 18, 2006 #5
    Leon.

Best preformance of Jean reno. ever.

7. Jan 18, 2006 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

Agree with you! That's a great movie!

8. Jan 18, 2006 #7
    Best of the best and bloodsport. I cant tell which one I have seen most times. But I have seen each of them atleast 100 times(nope Im not kidding).

This was when me and my friends where realy into martial arts movies. We watched them daily for god knows how long :approve:

I have seen The Predator and Commando a awfull lot of times as well. The Predator is easily one of the best movies ever made!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  9. Jan 18, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Kiss of the dragon

Jet li is awesometastic! And that scene on the boat where he beats up all the, oddly enough, knife-armed special forces guys is sweeeeeeet

10. Jan 18, 2006 #9
    Ohh hell yeah now your talking. But (if you havent) you need to watch his china/hong kong movies. The evil cult, fist of legend, once upon a time in china. They all completely blows KoD away.

11. Jan 18, 2006 #10

Evo

Time Bandits, I will NEVER get tired of it. That has to be my favorite movie of all time.

The Brave Little Toaster. I can't count how many times I've watched that. It's a great story, cute characters and I love the songs.

Holy Grail

12. Jan 18, 2006 #11
    Big Lebowski, it never gets old.

13. Jan 18, 2006 #12

Astronuc

:rofl: Yep, I didn't mention the kids movies, but I watched this one countless times with my children. Cute characters and catchy songs.

14. Jan 18, 2006 #13
    When I was little I would watch Bambi all day....it would finish playing and I would have my mom rewind it and play it again...I loved it for some reason ...lol

15. Jan 18, 2006 #14
    What he said. Add to that Karate Kid I. Those two I have seen dozens of times each.

16. Jan 18, 2006 #15
    I will always re-watch the following:

Airplane
    LA Story
    Dogma
    Monty Python (um....all of them)
    Dr Strangelove
    Dark City
    Contact
    Farinelli Il Castrato (amazing music!)

Except for Farinelli, which I don't own yet, I've seen each of these at least a dozen times (Dogma probably about 50 times - must be that recovering catholic in me)

17. Jan 18, 2006 #16

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have a certain core set of movies I will continue to watch until the day I die.

Awesome start there Dave. I add to those for me:

Big Trouble in Little China (Kurt Russel is hilarious in it)
    Breaveheart (awwwwwwesome. If I had to be a 12th century Scottish peseant, that's how I'd want to do it.)
    Star Wars (Best story line ever even if poorly acted out)

18. Jan 18, 2006 #17
    Pretty much any movie that is a favorite of mine I would watch several times. I've already mentioned some of these...
    Brazil
    Blade Runner
    Pleasantville
    Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead
    Hitchhiker's Guide (the new one if it were out/ haven't seen the old BBC version yet :redface:)
    The Never Ending Story (shut up!:mad::wink:)
    Wizards
    Reservoir Dogs
    and lots more I can't think of at the moment.

Top Gun is the movie that I have seen so many times I hate to watch it. It's all the fault of my mom, sister, aunt, and cousins who all watched it CONSTANTLY!

When I was a kid I used to watch Pete's Dragon all the time. That and Herbie Rides Again. Oh and The Secret of NIMH.

I'm wondering. Has anyone else here seen Pleasantville and liked it? I can't seem to find any one anywhere that even remembers it let alone likes it as much as I do.

19. Jan 18, 2006 #18
    no really, he watches karate kid WAY too much...

me, i like disney movies a lot, especially mulan, hercules, aladdin, and the lion king, because they're inspiring and i love to sing to them and quote all the good lines.

i've recently watched The Life Aquatic quite a few times, i really love that movie.
    10 things i hate about you i watched over and over all day long when it first came out. i guess cause i'm a teenage girl :rolleyes: i loved that soundtrack too.
    plus anything thats on Starz just cause i get bored and end up watchin the same movies over and over since they don't change their movies often enough.

20. Jan 18, 2006 #19
    I loved NIMH and the books too. i haven't seen that in ages though. i used to watch that and Fern Gulley all the time.
    I loved that movie! i thought it was really good. i never quite got the ending though when the mum is on the bench with her husband AND the diner guy. does she end up staying with them both?? menagez-toi?

21. Jan 18, 2006 #20

Evo

The Never Ending Story and The Secret of NIMH.

Princess Bride is another I never get tired of - "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?