Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most stable structure ?

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    Most stable structure ??

Could anyone tell me which/what is the most stable structure? And Why??

Thanks a lot
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2
    The most stable?

A really low, and heavy rectangle. Why? Because it has a really low center of gravity, and it cannot tip over easily.

But, the strongest?
    A triangle. Why? Because when you put pressure on any part of the triangle, the pressure is divided up around the 3 sides, making the tensile strength increase greatly.
  4. Apr 30, 2008 #3

Depends what you mean by 'stable' and 'structure'.
  5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    There is only one meaning for stable and structure, in this context:
    Stable- –adjective, -bler, -blest.
    not likely to fall or give way, as a structure, support, foundation, etc.; firm; steady.
    Structure- –noun
    mode of building, construction, or organization; arrangement of parts, elements, or constituents: a pyramidal structure.
  6. Apr 30, 2008 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The BCC crystal structure appears to have the lowest energy, IIRC. But, the various hexagonal packings are also quite stable.
  7. Apr 30, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

On what level - subatomic, atomic, crystal/molecular, grain, product, building, moon, planet, star, . . . . ?
  8. Apr 30, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This isn't generally true. It applies to iron at room temperature, for example, but not to aluminum, copper, gold, silicon, carbon, tungsten...
  9. Apr 30, 2008 #8
    Ahhh. Sorry about that post there, I did not consider the question in the right context.
  10. Apr 30, 2008 #9
    a sphere?
  11. May 3, 2008 #10
    let me rephrase the question...
    what is the most stable structure at sub atomic,atomic and marcoscopic level..??
  12. May 3, 2008 #11

Gold Member

Well group 0/8 atoms such as neon have the most stable atoms because their outer shell is full of electrons and they can't react with other elements. I guess the strongest structure would be the lattis structure of diamond which has 4 bonds with other atoms I think.
  13. May 4, 2008 #12
    What about Diamond? It's F[ace] C[entered] C[ubic], if I'm not wrong.

Isn't that pretty stable, considering its high melting temperature?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?