Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most suitable embeded OS?

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    I wanna know what you folks think about the best OS for a specific product.

For example, you wouldn't want no OS for your freezer since there won't be much to control and the user-machine interaction is rather simple and straight forward.

But for set-top-box, people are expecting a web-browser (sorta), a media player etc. from it, so it's better to fix an openembeded system, ulinux or even android in.

Also, can anyone tell me since no one seems to like window$ CE, why there are still GPS devices using it?

Another thing, I'm totally confused with window$ 8, some say it will be the same OS running on both x86 and ARM instruction set (which I doubt if either possible or wise, some say there is going to be 2 versions, one for PC and laptop, one for handheld devices. Need some clarification here?

And one more thing, why OS is so hot in the world of embeded developing? A lot of industrial control requires nothing more complicated than assembly codes.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted