Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most useful Sci-fi novels

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    Hello friends,
    I just wanted to know if there is any Sci-fi novel which involves a lot of biological stuffs.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The most recent ones would be The Martian with his need to grow food and The Expanse series with the proto-molecule.

However, the amount of biological references is not that great and is subject to sci-fi rule bending...

4. Feb 26, 2016 #3
  5. Feb 26, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5
    Cyteen is an interesting book/series.

You might look at some of Crighton's works. He was a doctor turned Hollywood Sci-Fi writer. (ex. Jurassic Park) His book Next might be just what you are looking for.

Allen Dean Foster is another Hollywood Sci Fier. His work strays farther from reality. (ex. Alien)

The Uplift Wars were good reads with some bio., but more other stuff. The same with some of Vinge's books.

As far as I know, only Crighton's were close enough to reality to have scientists denounce him in some weird sort of backhanded praise. (Why denounce a fiction writer because their science is off? Kind of crazy if you ask me.)

7. Mar 2, 2016 #6

meBigGuy

Gold Member

8. Mar 2, 2016 #7
    Hi @Docscientist:

Is your interest about any particular sub-field of biology, e.g., evolution, genetics, zoology?

Regards,
    Buzz

9. Mar 2, 2016 #8
    I can't think of any sci fi which does not involve biological stuff.

10. Mar 3, 2016 #9
    Hi @rootone:

You have an interesting way of thinking about sci fi. Do you mean that because sci fi is almost always about living things, typically people, it is about biology?

I interpret the OP's question to be focusing on the particular science that is being fictionalized in a sci fi story. I believe that the first sci fi story specifically about biology is Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, the plot being about creating an artificial life from dead parts. From what I read, the most common biological sci fi science is genetics. The movie Gattaca is an excellent example. The Nancy Kress Beggars in Spain trilogy is my favorite genetics fiction story.

Regards,
    Buzz

11. Mar 3, 2016 #10

meBigGuy

Gold Member

OK, how does I Robot involve biology? How about Snow Crash? Cryptonomicon? Reamde?
    How about Enders game? Tons of examples. Just explain the involvement of biology in those stories.

Kim Stanley Robinson's latest, Aurora, has really interesting biological and ecological elements. Makes it pretty clear we may never inhabit the stars.

12. Mar 4, 2016 #11
    I guess I was thinking of the fact that the storyline nearly always involves humans one way or another.
    (Even though the main character doesn't have to be)

13. Mar 10, 2016 #12
  14. Mar 28, 2016 #13
    Larry Niven's The Known Universe megaseries, including Ringworld, involves a lot of biology: Alien biology, Protectors, evolution, non-organic biology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted