Most Users Ever Online: 1264 in 2004

• Thread starter Nicool005
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about the highest number of users ever online on a forum, which was 1264 on the date of May 13, 2004 at 10:26 PM. This was due to a thread about the beheading video gaining popularity on Google and possibly being mentioned on Slashdot. It was also noted that a previous record was due to final exams and that Google has helped increase traffic to the forum.
Nicool005
Most users ever online was 1264, 05-13-2004 at 10:26 PM.

Wow! What did I miss? Some mass gathering of PFlings? Is it going to happen again anytime soon?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that was at the time of the first beheading video, there was a thread in one of the forums and apparently many people were googling for the keywords :yuck:

Yeah. The latest high was the beheading video. The next highest - 600 or so I think - had to do with the John Titor thread being on the top 3 google results for Titor.

enigma said:
Yeah. The latest high was the beheading video. The next highest - 600 or so I think - had to do with the John Titor thread being on the top 3 google results for Titor.
A couple of months ago, for a few days, we were exceeding 1,100 members online, there was nothing special going on that I can recall, not too many of those were spiders either.

If heads must fail for us to increase our popularity, then so be it ! :approve:

Daniel.

My first guess, before reading the followup postings, was that it must have been final exam week at a lot of colleges and universities. :rofl:

I think the last record was when we got slashdotted. So if anyone is on slashdot, give us a shoutout :biggrin:

jtbell said:
My first guess, before reading the followup postings, was that it must have been final exam week at a lot of colleges and universities. :rofl:

Hah, yeah that was one of my thoughts too..

Beheading, eh? :yuck: that's unpleasant

That's cool that google helps PF traffic these days

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think the last record was when we got slashdotted.
When ? I'd like to see that.

1. What does "Most Users Ever Online" mean?

"Most Users Ever Online" refers to the highest number of users that were simultaneously active on a specific platform or website at a given time period. In this case, it is referring to the number of users who were online at the same time in 2004.

2. Why is the year 2004 significant in regards to the number of users online?

The year 2004 was significant as it marked the emergence of many popular social media and networking platforms such as Facebook, MySpace, and LinkedIn. This led to a significant increase in the number of people using the internet and being active online, resulting in a record-breaking number of users online at once.

3. What factors could have contributed to the high number of users online in 2004?

The rise of social media and networking platforms, widespread availability of internet access, and advancements in technology such as smartphones and laptops are some of the factors that could have contributed to the high number of users online in 2004.

4. Has the record for "Most Users Ever Online" been broken since 2004?

Yes, the record for "Most Users Ever Online" has been broken multiple times since 2004. With the continued growth of the internet and the increasing popularity of social media and online platforms, it is expected that this record will continue to be broken in the future.

5. Can this record be compared to the number of users online in 2021?

While the record for "Most Users Ever Online" in 2004 was impressive at the time, it cannot be directly compared to the number of users online in 2021. The internet and its usage have evolved significantly since 2004, and the number of users online at any given time is much higher now.