What Is the Skater's Acceleration on the Rough Ice?

In summary: If you continue to move things around, you'll get more and more confused. I suggest that you get a study partner or a tutor to help you clear up your understanding of algebra.In summary, the skater moves on frictionless ice at 8.0 m/s and hits a 5.0-m-wide patch of rough ice. She slows steadily and continues at 6.0 m/s. To find her acceleration on the rough ice, we can use the equation v2 = v02 + 2a(d-do) and solve for a using algebraic rules. However, the individual may need help understanding algebra to correctly set up the formula.
Ashkon

Homework Statement

A skater moving on a frictionless ice at 8.0 m/s hits a 5.0-m-wide patch of rough ice. She slows steadly, the continues at 6.0 m/s. What is her acceleration on the rough Ice

Homework Equations

v2 = vo 2 + 2a (d-do)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to set up the formula but I'm not sure how to do it properly.

a = vo 2 + 2v2 (d-do)

Physics news on Phys.org
v and v0 are the final and initial velocities.
d and d0 are the distances from the skater's starting point to the end and beginning of the rough ice

Ashkon said:

Homework Statement

A skater moving on a frictionless ice at 8.0 m/s hits a 5.0-m-wide patch of rough ice. She slows steadly, the continues at 6.0 m/s. What is her acceleration on the rough Ice

Homework Equations

v2 = vo 2 + 2a (d-do)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to set up the formula but I'm not sure how to do it properly.

a = vo 2 + 2v2 (d-do)
Your algebra in transposing the Equation in 2.) to the Equation in 3 is a little dodgy.

You can't just switch the positions of a and v2 like you show. :frown:

andrewkirk said:
v and v0 are the final and initial velocities.
d and d0 are the distances from the skater's starting point to the end and beginning of the rough ice

I understand that, I just have problems with setting up the formula.

Ashkon said:
I understand that, I just have problems with setting up the formula.
Well, we can't do your algebra for you. You'll have to take the Equation in Section 2 and solve for a using standard algebraic rules.

Deleted

Ashkon said:
I'm not very good at transposing. I think that moving the v2 will make it a fraction an it would be on the bottom? Or will it just stay the same but v2 goes in another place?
Do you or do you not understand algebra?

You've already tried switching a and v2, and we told you that wasn't correct.

1. What is motion?

Motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to its surroundings. It can be described in terms of speed, direction and velocity.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the change to occur.

3. How do you measure motion and acceleration?

Motion can be measured using tools such as rulers, tape measures, or motion detectors. Acceleration can be measured using devices such as accelerometers or by using equations and data from velocity measurements.

4. What factors affect an object's motion and acceleration?

Several factors can affect an object's motion and acceleration, including the force applied to the object, its mass, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. How are motion and acceleration related?

Acceleration is a measure of how an object's motion changes over time. When an object experiences a constant acceleration, its velocity changes by the same amount each second. This means that motion and acceleration are closely related, and understanding one can help us understand the other.