Motion and Average Acceleration -Help-

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the average acceleration of a tennis ball when it rebounds off a wall after being thrown at it. The formula for finding change in momentum is mentioned, as well as the use of F=ma to calculate the acceleration. The conversation also references the topics of momentum and impulse.
febreze
I've been killing myself over this problem because I cannot figure it out. Can someone please help me?

A tennis ball with a velocity of 40.0 m/s to the right is thrown perpendicularly at a wall. After striking the wall, the ball rebounds in the opposite direction with a velocity of -8 m/s to the left. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.014 s, what is the average acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about momentum and impulse?

Force multipled by time gives you change in momentum.
[tex]F\Delta{t}=mv_f-mv_i[/tex]

Then just use [tex]F=ma[/tex]

Hi there, I can understand your frustration with this problem. Let me try to help you out.

First, it is important to understand that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In this case, the ball's initial velocity is 40.0 m/s to the right, and its final velocity is -8 m/s to the left. This means that the ball's velocity changed by 48 m/s (40 m/s - (-8 m/s)) in the opposite direction during its contact with the wall.

Next, we need to determine the time it took for this change in velocity to occur. We are given that the ball was in contact with the wall for 0.014 s. Therefore, the average acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken: 48 m/s / 0.014 s = 3428.57 m/s^2.

So, the average acceleration of the ball while in contact with the wall is 3428.57 m/s^2 in the direction opposite to its initial velocity. I hope this helps you solve the problem. Keep practicing and don't give up!

What is motion?

Motion refers to the movement of an object from one position to another. It can be described in terms of distance, speed, and direction.

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval.

How is acceleration related to motion?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes. It is directly related to an object's motion as it can cause a change in the object's speed or direction of motion.

What are some common units used to measure acceleration?

The most commonly used units to measure acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) and centimeters per second squared (cm/s^2).

How does the acceleration of an object affect its motion?

The acceleration of an object can either increase or decrease its speed or change its direction of motion. This depends on whether the acceleration is positive or negative, and the magnitude of the acceleration.