1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion and friction problem

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the maximum speed a vehicle can travel round a horizontal bend of radius 50m without skidding if the coefficient of friction between tyres and road is 0.5.

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure about the equation. As radius and coeff of friction are given, maybe something along these lines? v = μr

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am puzzled as there is no mention of the weight of the car. Would this not be required in order to work it out?

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Is the car accelerated? What forces act on the car? How would you apply Newton's 2nd law?

(Represent the unknown mass of the car by a symbol. "m" would be a good choice. :wink: Then work the problem out and see if you need the actual value or not.)

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3
    I guess it will be gravity.

As to Newton F=ma (?).

Not sure whether it is accelerated, doesn't really say in question.:confused:

5. Jun 12, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Gravity is not the only force acting on the car. (If it were, it would be falling!)

As far as whether it's accelerated, here's another clue:

6. Jun 12, 2007 #5
    So there is also a velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?