1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion and Position-Time Graphs

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    A police officer clocked a driver going 20 mph over the speed limit just as the driver passed a slower car. He arrested both drivers. The judge agreed that both were guilty, saying, "If the two cars were next to each other, they must have been going the same speed." Are the judge and police officer correct? Explain with a sketch, a motion diagram, and a position-time graph.

Uhmm.. i'm not sure at all how to think about this.. If i look at it one way.. it looks like it would have to be the same.. because they'd meet at the same point where the distance / time would be the same on the graph.. but if i think about it.. it wouldn't be very smart to say that they'd have to be moving at the same speed.. or would it? i'm confused
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about this. One car, initially at the origin (say x=0) is going with a constant velocity of 100 m/s. Another car, initially 100m away(x=100) is going with a constant velocity of 50 m/s in the same direction. Will the cars pass? If so,what will the velocities of the cars be?
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?