Solving Motion & Speed Homework Problem with X, u and a

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the height of a stone dropped from a balloon with a uniform velocity of 5m/s. The suggested method is to use the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 for the dropped stone and solve for time, and then use the equation s=ut for the balloon to find its height at the calculated time. Another method suggested is to set up equations for both cases and solve them simultaneously. It is also suggested to consider the physical picture of the situation, as it can be helpful in eliminating options in objective questions.
nirajnishad

Homework Statement

A stone is droped from a balloon going up with a uniform velocity of 5m/s.if the baloon was at 50m high when the stone was dropped, find its height when the stone hits the ground?
find the time for

X(distance)=-50m, u(initial velocity)=5m/s a(acceleration)=-10m/s*s

Homework Equations

please show the the calculaion and methods to solve this problem
rather than this method
also if there is any other simpler way to solve this question?

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not able to solve by using X=ut+1/2at*t
i tried the method shown in the book but i m not able to solve the above equation

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the correct method
Make sure you got the signs correct for each quantity, pick a direction (ie up is +ve)

As a starting point, imagine if the rock was simply dropped - work out the time for that, then you know your answer should be a bit larger than this,

Take care of two things:

1. You have to find the height of the balloon.
2. Is the height of the balloon constant? NO! It changes with time. So, you have to find out the height of the balloon at some specific time! What is that time?

Now, I ask another question. What question needs to be solved first? 1 or 2?

For 2, all you have to do is use the s = ut + 0.5at^2

u = -5m/s, a = 10m/s^2, s = height of the balloon when the stone was thrown (+50 or -50?)

Find time.

Then for 1, there's no acceleration! So which equation will you use?

Another way to solve the question would be to setup equations for both the cases, with s1 and t1 as the unkowns.

Then solve them simultaneously through the methods learned in ninth standard!

Solve the question both ways in your notebook - simultaneously and sequentially!

Think about mgb_physics' suggestions.

He's giving you a physical picture. I gave you a way to get the answer - that's a technique. What he said is, our case will take longer time than the case where the rock would have been simply dropped.

Why's that so? Think about it, draw a simple diagram in which you contrast the two situations. Then tell me what you think!

IMP : SUCH SMALL INSIGHTS CAN BE VERY HELPFUL IN ELIMINATING OPTIONS IN OBJECTIVE QUESTIONS!

1. How do I calculate the final velocity (v) using the initial velocity (u), acceleration (a), and distance (x)?

To calculate the final velocity, you can use the equation v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Alternatively, if the distance is known, you can use the equation v = √(u² + 2ax).

2. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed gives an overall picture of the motion, while instantaneous speed can vary throughout the motion.

3. How do I calculate the acceleration (a) using the final velocity (v), initial velocity (u), and time (t)?

The equation for calculating acceleration is a = (v - u)/t. This means you subtract the initial velocity from the final velocity and divide by the time taken to get the acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between distance, velocity, and acceleration?

The relationship between these three quantities is described by the equations of motion. The first equation (v = u + at) relates velocity to acceleration and time. The second equation (s = ut + ½at²) relates distance to initial velocity, time, and acceleration. The third equation (v² = u² + 2as) relates final velocity, initial velocity, acceleration, and distance.

5. How can I use graphs to solve motion and speed problems?

Graphs can be used to visualize and analyze the motion of an object. The slope of a position-time graph represents the velocity, while the slope of a velocity-time graph represents the acceleration. By analyzing these graphs, you can determine the values of x, u, and a and solve the problem.