1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion around a banked track

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object travels around a circular track with a given radius that is banked/inclined (inward) at a given angle. Find the ideal velocity for the object to travel around the track (so that it does not slide up or down but stays in the middle) with no friction or with a given friction coefficient.

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea how to begin to solve this or where to begin.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Start by drawing a free-body diagram, identifying all forces, and writing Newton's law for both the x and the y directions.

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    I have done this, but I want to know how i would take the incline of the track into account. The problem would be simple enough if it was on a flat track.

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You need to account for the incline to draw gravity and the normal force at the correct angle to each other. Just draw the incline, draw the car, and analyze away.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook