1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Motion Around An Ellipse

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is an elliptical path and pegs A and B are restricted to move around it. If the link moves with a constant speed of 10m/s, determine the magnitude of velocity when x=0.6m

[PLAIN]http://users.adam.com.au/shortround/Prob.12-78.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{x^2}{4}[/tex]+y2=1

[tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\frac{(1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2)^\frac{3}{2}}{\left|\frac{dy}{dx}\right|}[/tex]

a=[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] [tex]\vec{e}[/tex]t+[tex]\frac{v^2}{\rho}[/tex] [tex]\vec{e}[/tex]n

Where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the radius of curvature.

3. The attempt at a solution

I rearranged [tex]\frac{x^2}{4}[/tex]+y2=1 to get x2+4y2=4

I then differentiated this to get: [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{-x}{4y}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{(x/y)-1}{4y}[/tex]

Using x=0.6m, y=[tex]\sqrt{0.91}[/tex]=0.9539

By substituting this into the derivative and second derivatives and then putting these into the radius of curvature equation, I found the radius of curvature. However I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it. Also once I have the radius of curvature, how do I find the velocity?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Υou need not calculate the radius of curvature.
    When x = 0.6m find y using the equation of ellipse. If O is the center of the ellipse, find the angle AOC. Then the velocity of A at that position is v*sinθ

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3
    That doesn't work. I have an example in my book with x=1.0m and hence y=sqrt(0.75). They give v=10.4m/s, however your method gives v=6.55m/s.

5. Aug 20, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

To find the angle, find the slope tanθ = dy/dx at x = 0.6 m, and then proceed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook