1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Confined to a Cone

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

yDI8qJI.png

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L} }{\partial \phi} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\phi}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]z = r\cos\alpha[/itex]
    [itex]s = r\sin\alpha[/itex]

[itex]v^2 = \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\phi}^2 sin^2\alpha[/itex]

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2 + \frac{1}{2}mr^2 \dot{\phi}^2 sin^2\alpha- mgr\cos\alpha[/itex]

[itex]\ell_z = I_z\omega_z = ms^2\dot{\phi} [/itex]
    [itex]\ell_z = mr^2\dot{\phi}\sin^2\alpha[/itex]

The [itex]\phi[/itex] Euler Lagrange equation is just conservation of angular momentum.
    [itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L} }{\partial \phi} = 0 = \frac{d}{dt}\left(mr^2\dot{\phi}sin^2\alpha \right) = \dot{\ell_z} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\phi}}[/itex]

[itex]\dot{\ell_z} = m\sin^2(\alpha)(2r\dot{r}\dot{\phi} + mr^2\ddot{\phi}) = 0[/itex]

the [itex]r[/itex] Euler Lagrange equation
    [itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L} }{\partial r} = mr\dot{\phi}^2\sin^2\alpha - mgcos\alpha = m\ddot{r} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{r}} [/itex]

I'm not sure how to put this in terms of [itex]\ell_z[/itex] in a way that gets rid of all the [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]. There's that extra power of [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex].

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You just want to eliminate [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex], not both [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex].

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Oops, I should have read that better. Thanks for answering both my questions this week, TSny!

I got as far as

[itex]\ddot{\epsilon} \approx \frac{\ell_z^2}{m^2 r_0^3 sin^2\alpha \cos\alpha}(1 - \frac{3\epsilon}{r_0}) - gcos\alpha[/itex] ????

But I think I'm going to leave this incomplete. It's late and I'm recovering from a cold.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. Apr 11, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey, that looks good. Can you argue that ## \frac{\ell_z^2}{m^2 r_0^3 sin^2\alpha \cos\alpha}## cancels ## - gcos\alpha## leaving a single term on the right proportional to ##\epsilon##?

Take care

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5
    Yes, here is what I got.

[itex]\ddot{\epsilon} = -\frac{3gcos(\alpha)}{r_0}\epsilon[/itex]

7. Apr 11, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted