Motion detection pointers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a forum for applied math on PF and the search for a simple yet efficient algorithm for motion detection between consecutive images. The requester provides an example of the problem, where "white" represents background, "gray" is a moving object, and "dim gray" is unknown background information. They seek a method to identify background data in each frame and determine the direction of motion.
whatta
there seem to be no forum for applied math on PF, but can anyone here point me to simplest yet efficient yet not covered by evil patents algorithm for motion detection between two/more consecutive images?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
it might help if I say what is this for. for example, http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i276617_motion.GIF "white" represents background, "gray" is round moving object in two frames, and "dim gray" is area that we have no background information for. for "gray" areas it should be possible to restore background, but we need some way to tell which data is background data in each frame. I can see that, subtracting images, I can find these areas, but how do I guess the direction of motion?

One possible approach for motion detection between consecutive images is to use the difference between the two images. This can be done by subtracting each corresponding pixel value in the two images and then thresholding the difference to identify areas of significant change.

Another approach is to use optical flow, which tracks the movement of objects in a sequence of images. This can be done using techniques such as Lucas-Kanade or Horn-Schunck.

It may also be helpful to apply some pre-processing techniques, such as background subtraction or image smoothing, to improve the accuracy of the motion detection algorithm.

Since there is no one-size-fits-all solution for motion detection, it may be beneficial to experiment with different algorithms and parameters to find the best fit for your specific application. Additionally, there are various open-source libraries and resources available online that can provide useful tools and examples for motion detection.

1. What is a motion detection pointer?

A motion detection pointer is a device used to control the movement of a cursor on a computer screen without physically touching the screen. It uses motion detection technology, such as infrared sensors, to track hand movements and translate them into cursor movements.

2. How does a motion detection pointer work?

A motion detection pointer works by emitting a beam of infrared light and detecting its reflection off of surfaces. It then uses this information to calculate the movement of the pointer and translate it into cursor movements on the computer screen.

3. What are the benefits of using a motion detection pointer?

Some benefits of using a motion detection pointer include increased precision and accuracy, as well as reduced strain on the hand and wrist compared to using a traditional mouse. It also allows for more natural and intuitive movements, making it especially useful for presentations and other interactive activities.

4. Are there any limitations to using a motion detection pointer?

One limitation of using a motion detection pointer is that it requires a clear line of sight between the device and the computer screen. This can be problematic in certain lighting conditions or when there are obstructions between the two. Additionally, it may take some time to get used to the sensitivity and responsiveness of the pointer.

5. How is a motion detection pointer different from a traditional mouse?

A motion detection pointer differs from a traditional mouse in that it does not require physical contact with the computer screen. It also allows for more natural and intuitive movements, as it is controlled by hand gestures rather than hand movements on a surface. However, it may not be as precise as a traditional mouse and may have limitations in certain environments.