1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion diagram

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    The motion diagram below shows the position of a seat on a Ferris wheel at 12 moments. One full rotation is shown; the positions at moments 0 and 6 are labelled. For each of the following questions, choose the appropriate direction from the second diagram.

View attachment 15507

View attachment 15508

1.What is the direction of the acceleration of the seat at moment 0 if the motion is clockwise?

2.What is the direction of the average velocity of the seat between moments 10 and 11 if the motion is clockwise?

3.What is the direction of the average velocity of the seat between moments 4 and 5 if the motion is counter-clockwise?

4.What is the direction of the acceleration of the seat at moment 3 if the motion is counter-clockwise?

I am so frustrated with this one I think that #1 is G, #2 is C, #3 is D and #4 is A but apparently it's wrong could someone please xplain to me why I'm wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2
    Your attachments didn't work, try again.

1. Remember that when an object moves in a circle, the acceleration points towards the center of the circle.
    2. The average of two velocities is half the sum of the two velocities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?