Calculating Net Force on a Spinning Ball

In summary, the conversation was about a motion diagram of a ball being spun in a counter clockwise direction with four points on the circular diagram. The task was to calculate the net force at the top point and determine the law used. The question was also raised about any tangential acceleration at the top and bottom points. The answer provided was that due to symmetry, the tangential acceleration would be zero at those points.
synergix

Homework Statement

Mass of ball=0.500kg string length=1.02m
I have a motion diagram of a ball being spun in a counter clockwise direction. there are four points on the circular diagram this is the best I can do right now

......v= 4.0m/s
......|
......|
v=6.0m/s ---------- v= 6.0m/s
......|
......|
...v=7.5m/s

calculate the value(in N) of the net force at the top point. What law are you using?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate if their is tangential + radial acceleration but If anyone could explain why there would or would not be tangential acceleration at the top and bottom point of the swing that would be very helpful because I am not sure. I am leaning towards using just the force of gravity on the ball for my final answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
synergix said:
I know how to calculate if their is tangential + radial acceleration but If anyone could explain why there would or would not be tangential acceleration at the top and bottom point of the swing that would be very helpful because I am not sure. …

Hi synergix! :smile:

From the symmetry, the speed must be at a minimum or maximum at the top or bottom, so the tangential acceleration will be zero. :wink:

Thank you very much! Tiny Tim :) But their would be tangential acceleration up until the instant it reached the top or bottom right?

Yup! :biggrin:

1. How do you calculate the net force on a spinning ball?

To calculate the net force on a spinning ball, you need to consider two main factors: the linear force and the rotational force. The linear force is the force applied to the center of the ball, while the rotational force is the force applied at a distance from the center, causing the ball to spin. The net force is the combination of these two forces and can be calculated using vector addition or the Pythagorean theorem.

2. What is the relationship between the net force and the spin of a ball?

The net force and the spin of a ball are directly related. The net force determines the acceleration of the ball, which in turn affects the rate of rotation. The greater the net force, the faster the ball will spin. Conversely, if the net force is zero, the ball will not spin at all.

3. How does the mass of a ball affect the net force on a spinning ball?

The mass of a ball does not directly affect the net force on a spinning ball. However, the mass does affect the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. A ball with a greater mass will have a greater moment of inertia, making it more difficult to change its rotational motion.

4. Can the direction of the net force on a spinning ball change?

Yes, the direction of the net force on a spinning ball can change. This can happen if there is a change in the linear force or the rotational force acting on the ball. For example, if a ball is spinning and a force is applied at an angle, the direction of the net force will change, causing the ball to curve in its path.

5. How do external factors, such as friction, affect the net force on a spinning ball?

External factors, such as friction, can affect the net force on a spinning ball. Friction can act in the opposite direction of the ball's motion, reducing the net force and slowing down the rotation. This is why balls on surfaces with high friction, such as grass, will spin for a shorter amount of time compared to balls on surfaces with low friction, like ice.