Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Motion Diagram

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    In this problem I am asked, in one or two sentences, to explain what this motion diagram is and explain if its an object or a person.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1012700/6/jfk.Figure.01.U37EOC.jpg

I have posted a jpg file here of the picture that I need to describe, hopefully you can open it and are able to view it.

My idea of this picture would be a swimmer at a swim meet or something. Starts off fast and then turns back the other way starting fast then coming to a stop when he comes back to his start point. I could be confused however, I could use some guidance.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The object doesn't get back to where it started, so probably not a smimming race.

From the start, the velocity increases.

What object have you ever seen increase its speed uniformly?

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    I hope I am right or have a good idea, but for example a car would have a constant speed once it reaches its desired speed limit of course or the speed limit of the road. ?

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

What would cause the car to suddenly go the other way?

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

can you think of anything that increases its speed uniformly then suddenly stops?

I am off to bed, but I will give you a hint.
    Grab hold of your pen, stand up, hold your hand out in front of you, then let the pen go.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook