1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Diagram

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    In this problem I am asked, in one or two sentences, to explain what this motion diagram is and explain if its an object or a person.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1012700/6/jfk.Figure.01.U37EOC.jpg

I have posted a jpg file here of the picture that I need to describe, hopefully you can open it and are able to view it.

My idea of this picture would be a swimmer at a swim meet or something. Starts off fast and then turns back the other way starting fast then coming to a stop when he comes back to his start point. I could be confused however, I could use some guidance.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The object doesn't get back to where it started, so probably not a smimming race.

From the start, the velocity increases.

What object have you ever seen increase its speed uniformly?

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    I hope I am right or have a good idea, but for example a car would have a constant speed once it reaches its desired speed limit of course or the speed limit of the road. ?

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

What would cause the car to suddenly go the other way?

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

can you think of anything that increases its speed uniformly then suddenly stops?

I am off to bed, but I will give you a hint.
    Grab hold of your pen, stand up, hold your hand out in front of you, then let the pen go.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook