1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion driven by force

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    the motion of a body is always in the direction of the resultant force. Why wouldn't this be a correct statement?

I thought all the forces on a body were added up and the resultant force was the direction in which the body moved. Am I confusing net force with resultant force? I was under the impression that they meant the same thing..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'd probably replace the word "motion" with "acceleration" in the first post.

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    Hey Russ,
    Thanks for the reply. I just checked out your website, and its really cool!

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4
    They are the same.
    But the statement "the motion of a body is always in the direction of the resultant force" is wrong. In circular motion with constant speed, velocity is perpendicular to net force.

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    I didn't think of that until now. I guess circular motion totally proved this statement to be incorrect. Thanks for clarifying this for me hikaru

7. Jun 14, 2010 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you replace "velocity" with "acceleration" the statement still holds in the case of circular motion.

Thanks for the compliment on my website.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook