Find Time for Motion Homework: Equations, Solutions, & Examples

In summary, the total time taken for a train to travel a distance of L, with a constant rate of acceleration α to reach a speed of v, then remaining at constant speed for an interval, and finally decelerating at a constant rate β to come to a stop, can be calculated using the equation (L/v) + (v/2) [(1/α) + (1/β)]. This takes into account the time during acceleration, constant speed, and deceleration. It is important to show your work and find a way to write the equations in terms of one variable to accurately calculate the total time taken.
Troubadour

Homework Statement

The speed of a train increases at a constant rate α from zero to v, and remains constant for an interval, and finally decreases to zero at a constant rate β. If L be the total distance traveled, then the total time taken is-
(a) (L/v) + (v/2) [(1/α) + (1/β)
(b) (L/v) + (2/v) [(1/α) + (1/β)
(c) (L/v) + (2v) [(1/α) + (1/β)
(d) (L/v) + (1/v) [(1/α) + (1/β)

Homework Equations

v = u + at
s = ut + (1/2)at2
2as= v2 - u2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to type in LaTEX so I can't show you the exact working. In short, I found the time during acceleration, time during constant speed and time during retardation. But I don't know how to write them in terms of one variable so that I can add them together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Troubadour said:
I don't really know how to type in LaTEX so I can't show you the exact working. In short, I found the time during acceleration, time during constant speed and time during retardation. But I don't know how to write them in terms of one variable so that I can add them together.
We won't know how to help you if you don't show your work. If LaTeX is not your thing you can use regular ascii and the symbols from the table accessed via the Σ icon, and use the x2 and x2 icons to create subscripts or superscripts.

1. What are some common equations used in motion homework?

Some common equations used in motion homework include the equations for average velocity, average acceleration, and displacement. These equations are often derived from the fundamental equations of motion, such as v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2.

2. How do I solve motion problems using these equations?

To solve motion problems using these equations, you will need to identify the given variables and the unknown variable. Then, you can plug in the known values into the appropriate equation and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to the units of measurement and use the correct formula for the type of motion being described (e.g. constant velocity, constant acceleration).

3. Can you provide an example of solving a motion problem?

Sure! Let's say you are given the following problem: A car travels at a constant speed of 60 km/h for 2 hours. What is the total distance traveled? To solve this, we can use the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. Plugging in the given values, we get d = 60 km/h * 2 h = 120 km. Therefore, the car traveled a total distance of 120 kilometers.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving motion problems?

One common mistake is using the wrong formula for the type of motion being described. For example, using the formula for constant velocity when the motion is actually accelerating. Another mistake is not paying attention to the units of measurement, which can lead to incorrect answers. It is also important to double check your calculations and units to avoid simple errors.

5. How can I check if my solution to a motion problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is to plug the values back into the original equation and see if it holds true. For example, if you solved for the final velocity using the equation v = u + at, you can plug in the values for the initial velocity, acceleration, and time to make sure the final velocity matches your solution. Another way is to use common sense and check if your answer is reasonable based on the given information and the laws of physics.