1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion- Finding Time

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The speed of a train increases at a constant rate α from zero to v, and remains constant for an interval, and finally decreases to zero at a constant rate β. If L be the total distance traveled, then the total time taken is-
    (a) (L/v) + (v/2) [(1/α) + (1/β)
    (b) (L/v) + (2/v) [(1/α) + (1/β)
    (c) (L/v) + (2v) [(1/α) + (1/β)
    (d) (L/v) + (1/v) [(1/α) + (1/β)

2. Relevant equations
    v = u + at
    s = ut + (1/2)at2
    2as= v2 - u2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know how to type in LaTEX so I can't show you the exact working. In short, I found the time during acceleration, time during constant speed and time during retardation. But I don't know how to write them in terms of one variable so that I can add them together.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

We won't know how to help you if you don't show your work. If LaTeX is not your thing you can use regular ascii and the symbols from the table accessed via the Σ icon, and use the x2 and x2 icons to create subscripts or superscripts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted