1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 1d

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

when graphing a velocity squared vs. time graph how do I find the acceleration. I realize the slope gives me units of acceleration but this is not correct because the theoretical acceleration is no where near this and I didnt botch this lab up.

Theoretical
    a = gsin(3.03) +/- 0.085 m/s^2

when i graph my data from the photogate the linear trend line gives me a slope of 1.0481 which is the acceleration in this case but like I said that is far beyond the theoretical.

also i did this experiment by using a stopwatch and I calculated an acceleration using the equation
    a=2s/t^2 and got an acceleration of 0.58 +/- 0.10 m/s^2

So again how do I calculate the correct acceleration using a v^2 vs. x graph?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The slope of the velocity-time graph is the acceleration.

But you wrote: "velocity-squared vs time" ... the slope of that graph will not give you the acceleration.
    If you means "displacement-squared vs time" then that is also wrong ... as you can see by rearranging your own equations from later: a=2s/t^2 means s=(a/2)t^2 ... i.e. a plot of s vs t^2 gives a slope of a/2.

But it may be a typo - in which case there is probably something else going on that you have not taken into account with the theory.

4. Sep 26, 2013 #3
    Thanks Simon but I figured out that I had to use a kinematics equation V^2=2a(xf-xi) to find acceleration and it matched the theoretical value pretty well!

5. Sep 26, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK. So what did you plot?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted