Finding Acceleration from a v^2 vs. t Graph

In summary, the conversation is about calculating acceleration from a velocity squared vs. time graph. The person asking the question realizes that the slope of the graph does not give the correct acceleration and is concerned about the accuracy of their lab results. They also mention using a stopwatch and calculating acceleration from a different equation. Another person points out that the slope of a velocity-time graph is the acceleration, but this may not apply to a velocity squared vs. time graph. The conversation ends with the person figuring out that they needed to use a kinematics equation to find the correct acceleration, which matched the theoretical value.
ethinh

Homework Statement

when graphing a velocity squared vs. time graph how do I find the acceleration. I realize the slope gives me units of acceleration but this is not correct because the theoretical acceleration is no where near this and I didnt botch this lab up.

Theoretical
a = gsin(3.03) +/- 0.085 m/s^2

when i graph my data from the photogate the linear trend line gives me a slope of 1.0481 which is the acceleration in this case but like I said that is far beyond the theoretical.

also i did this experiment by using a stopwatch and I calculated an acceleration using the equation
a=2s/t^2 and got an acceleration of 0.58 +/- 0.10 m/s^2

So again how do I calculate the correct acceleration using a v^2 vs. x graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
ethinh said:

Homework Statement

when graphing a velocity squared vs. time graph how do I find the acceleration. I realize the slope gives me units of acceleration but this is not correct because the theoretical acceleration is no where near this and I didnt botch this lab up.
The slope of the velocity-time graph is the acceleration.

But you wrote: "velocity-squared vs time" ... the slope of that graph will not give you the acceleration.
If you means "displacement-squared vs time" then that is also wrong ... as you can see by rearranging your own equations from later: a=2s/t^2 means s=(a/2)t^2 ... i.e. a plot of s vs t^2 gives a slope of a/2.

But it may be a typo - in which case there is probably something else going on that you have not taken into account with the theory.

Thanks Simon but I figured out that I had to use a kinematics equation V^2=2a(xf-xi) to find acceleration and it matched the theoretical value pretty well!

OK. So what did you plot?

I understand your frustration with obtaining different values for acceleration from different methods of measurement. It is important to note that there can be variability in experimental data due to various factors such as human error, equipment limitations, and external influences. Therefore, it is always important to compare your results to theoretical values and take into account any potential sources of error.

In terms of finding acceleration from a v^2 vs. t graph, the slope of the graph does indeed give the units of acceleration. However, it is not always accurate due to the limitations of the equipment and experimental setup. It is also important to check for any outliers or discrepancies in your data.

One approach to obtaining a more accurate value for acceleration is to use multiple methods of measurement and compare the results. In your case, you have used both the photogate method and the stopwatch method. It is recommended to take an average of these values to minimize any potential errors.

Additionally, it is important to consider the accuracy of your theoretical value for acceleration. Is it based on a simplified or idealized model? Are there any external factors that could affect the theoretical value? These are important questions to consider when comparing your experimental results to the theoretical value.

In conclusion, finding the correct acceleration from a v^2 vs. t graph requires careful consideration of experimental methods, potential sources of error, and comparison with theoretical values. It is important to be aware of the limitations of your equipment and experimental setup, and to use multiple methods to obtain a more accurate result.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is acceleration related to a v^2 vs. t graph?

In a v^2 vs. t graph, acceleration is represented by the slope of the line. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. This is because the velocity is changing at a faster rate over time.

How do you find acceleration from a v^2 vs. t graph?

To find acceleration from a v^2 vs. t graph, you can use the equation a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time. This can also be calculated by finding the slope of the line on the graph.

What does a flat line on a v^2 vs. t graph represent?

A flat line on a v^2 vs. t graph represents a constant velocity. This means that there is no change in velocity over time, and therefore, there is no acceleration.

Can you determine the direction of acceleration from a v^2 vs. t graph?

No, you cannot determine the direction of acceleration from a v^2 vs. t graph. The graph only shows the magnitude of acceleration, not the direction. To determine the direction, you would need to look at other factors, such as the initial and final velocities.