1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 2 dimensions

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    A cart is propelled over an xy plane with acceleration components ax=4.0m/s^2 and ay= -2.0m/s^2 . Its initial velocity has components Vix=8.0m/s and Viy12 m/s. In unit-vector notation, what is the velocity of the cart when it reaches its greatest y coordinate?

im confused on how to get this going. Since the cart is at its highest point the velocity in the y direction is 0. could some one help me with the next step of this thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    So you know that,

[tex]v_y = f(t) = 0 [/tex]

at your highest point.
    Well you should also know that [tex]v_x = f(t)[/tex] where "t" is the same as the "t" for your y position.

Does that help?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    no im still confused

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    Ok, you already have the necessary x and y components, so you can treat each one like a one dimensional problem right?
    Do you know the equations for position/velocity/acceleration as functions of time? If not check out the formulas in in the sticky thread and go back over your textbook.
    Once you have the equation for velocity as a function of time, you only need to solve for time using your knowledge that the y-component velocity equals zero at the needed time. with this value of t you can calculate the x-component velocity.

6. Feb 18, 2008 #5
    thanks

7. Feb 19, 2008 #6
    i think i have the answer i was just wondering if someone could tell me if i am right.

I used the eqn V = Vi + at
    because the y velocity at the highest point is zero i used that for V
    -12 for Vi
    -2.0 for a

and got time = 6 seconds.

then i used the same eqn with this time = to 6 seconds and used 4.0 for a and 8.0 for Vi. All the horizontal inforamtion. I got 32 m/s for an answer.

so in unit vector notation the answer would be 32i +0j = V

8. Jun 22, 2008 #7
    Please, would someone explain me how do you know that at its highest point the velocity of the cart is 0 in its y coordinate. Well, i am trying to figure out how do the problem, as it seems easy, but it really isn't. I would really appreciate someone explaining it. Please reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?