1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 2 dimensions!

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As an example of the manipulation of an electron beam, consider an electron traveling away from the origin along the x axis in the xy plane with initial velocity v = vi. As it passes through the region x = 0 to x = d, the electron experiences acceleration a = ax + ay, where ax and ay are constants. For the case vi = 1.95 107 m/s, ax = 8.04 1014 m/s2, and ay = 1.52 1015 m/s2, determine the following, at x = d = 0.0100 m.

2. Relevant equations
    (a) the position of the electron
    yf = m
    (b) the velocity of the electron
    vf = m/s + m/s
    (c) the speed of the electron
    |vf| = m/s
    (d) the direction of travel of the electron (i.e. the angle between its velocity and the x axis)
    = °
    3. The attempt at a solution
    for this problem i used the kinematic equation and manipulated them and didnt get the right answers..i am a bio major, not a physics major, why do i have to learn this!! please somebody help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2
    Please show us HOW you used the kinematics equations... then we can better help you.
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3
    well, for a) i found t by using t=d/v and got 5.13E-10 s. i found theta by arctan Ay/Ax and i got 27.9 degrees. so then i used yf=yi+(V_yi)t-.5(9.80)t^2 to find the yf and i got 4.67E-3 and it was wrong.

for b)i found the velocity unit vectors and i got it wrong. i did Vxi= Vi(cos27.9) and Vyi= vi(sin27.9).... so i couldnt go on to c and d
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?