1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 2d/Centripetal Acceleration

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    ...sorry for doing this, but having trouble with some problems

1) A particle starts from rest at t=0 at the origin and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of a= (2i + 4j) m/s2. After a time t has elaped, determine (a) the x and y components of velocity. (b) the coordinates of the particle, and (c) the speed of the particle.

I get a) Vx= (2t)m/s and Vy=(4t)m/s, but not the rest...

2) A ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.5 M long. When it is 36.9* past the lowest point on its way up, the ball's total acceleration is (-22.5i + 20.2j) m/s2. For that instant, a) determine the magnitude of its centripetal acceleration, and b) determine the magnitude and direction of its velocity.

I know that v^2/R= Ac, but i don't know how to get the velocity:(

Any help will be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Use uniform acceleration kinematic equations, or use calculus. Integrate Acceleration, then integrate Velocity.

[tex] \vec{a} = \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v} = \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] A_{c} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

Refers to Magnitude.
  4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    but how do i find out the velocity?
  5. Oct 13, 2004 #4
    Well I got it. For 1 b) x=t^2m y=2t^2, for c) a^2 + b^2= c^2, c= velocity.

For 2. The angles of the directionals were 36.9 and 53.1, then cos36.9=20.2/x, solve for x, cos53.1= 22.5/x2, solve for x2, add both xs, and you get 62.8 m/s for the magnitude of its centripetal acceleration. For c, v^2/r= aC, we have the aC and r, so v^2/1.5=62.8, simple algebra, and v=9.7m/s.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?