1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 2d question

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A dive-bomber has a velocity of 280 m/s at an angle of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] below the horizontal. When the altitude of the aircraft is 2.15km it releases a bomb, which subsequently hits a target on the ground. The magnitude of the displacement from the point of release of the bomb to the target is 3.25km. Find the angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really lost with this question, so if some one could give me some clues that would be wonderful. I also don't really know what the question looks like, so its hard to know where to start.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try drawing a diagram to set the problem up.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    I get a major brain-fart everytime I try to draw it out. I dont know to even draw it out.

The teacher also gave the hints.

1) Find the horizontal distance x
    2) Obtain the expression for y as a function of x for all angles [tex]\vartheta[/tex].
    3) Find [tex]\vartheta[/tex] by equating y(x=xf = -h, and using the trigonometric relation.

1 = 1 + tan^2 [tex]\vartheta[/tex]
    cos^2 [tex]\vartheta[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  5. Sep 21, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Write the equation for vertical displacement in terms of time.

Write the equation for horizontal displacement in terms of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?