1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in a Magnetic Field 1

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charged particle of mass m = 6X10-8 kg, moving with constant velocity in the y-direction enters a region containing a constant magnetic field B = 2.8T aligned with the positive z-axis as shown. The particle enters the region at (x,y) = (0.58 m, 0) and leaves the region at (x,y) = 0, 0.58 m a time t = 884 μs after it entered the region.

What is Fx, the x-component of the force on the particle at a time t1 = 294.7 μs after it entered the region containing the magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations
    F=qv*B (i realize it is the cross product, but since they are perpendicular i can just multiply them since the angle is 90)
    M*a=F
    a=(v^2)/R

3. The attempt at a solution

Well i think i can find the total Force by just doing m*(v^2)/R. I got that F=.109N
    I assume this question has to with trig, but its not popping out to me how to attack it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2
    I've also tried to take the velocity times the time to me give distance.

4. Feb 23, 2013 #3
    Nevermind, figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook