Particle motion in a Magnetic Field 1

In summary, a charged particle with a mass of 6X10-8 kg enters a region with a constant magnetic field of 2.8T aligned with the positive z-axis. It enters at (0.58m, 0) and exits at (0, 0.58m) 884 μs later. The question asks for the x-component of the force on the particle at time t1 = 294.7 μs after entering the region. Using the equations F=qv*B and a=(v^2)/R, the force is found to be 0.109N. The solution involves finding the total force using the formula m*(v^2)/R and utilizing trigonometry to find
Gee Wiz

Homework Statement

A charged particle of mass m = 6X10-8 kg, moving with constant velocity in the y-direction enters a region containing a constant magnetic field B = 2.8T aligned with the positive z-axis as shown. The particle enters the region at (x,y) = (0.58 m, 0) and leaves the region at (x,y) = 0, 0.58 m a time t = 884 μs after it entered the region.

What is Fx, the x-component of the force on the particle at a time t1 = 294.7 μs after it entered the region containing the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

F=qv*B (i realize it is the cross product, but since they are perpendicular i can just multiply them since the angle is 90)
M*a=F
a=(v^2)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i think i can find the total Force by just doing m*(v^2)/R. I got that F=.109N
I assume this question has to with trig, but its not popping out to me how to attack it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've also tried to take the velocity times the time to me give distance.

Nevermind, figured it out.

1. What is particle motion in a magnetic field?

Particle motion in a magnetic field is the movement of charged particles, such as electrons or protons, in the presence of a magnetic field. The particles are affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, causing them to move in curved paths.

2. How does a magnetic field affect particle motion?

A magnetic field exerts a force on charged particles, called the Lorentz force, which causes them to move in curved paths. The direction and strength of the magnetic field determine the shape and size of the particle's path.

3. What is the relationship between particle mass and magnetic field strength?

The mass of a particle does not affect its motion in a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field and the charge of the particle are the only factors that determine the magnitude of the Lorentz force.

4. Can a particle's motion in a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, the motion of a particle in a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This is the principle behind devices such as particle accelerators and mass spectrometers.

5. What is the significance of particle motion in a magnetic field?

Particle motion in a magnetic field has many practical applications, such as in medical imaging, particle accelerators, and magnetic confinement in fusion reactors. It also helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in the universe, such as in the Earth's magnetic field and the Van Allen radiation belts.