Maximizing Turntable Angular Velocity with Friction Coefficients

In summary, the maximum angular velocity for the turntable to spin without the coin sliding is 7.38 rad/s. This is calculated by using the equation a = u_s * g = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, u_s is the static coefficient of friction, g is the gravitational acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the distance from the center of the turntable. To convert the velocity from m/s to rad/s, the circumference of the circle is used as a conversion factor, and the result is a maximum angular velocity of 7.38 rad/s.
Mirole

Homework Statement

A 6.40 g coin is placed 16.0 cm from the center of a turntable. The coin has static and kinetic coefficients of friction with the turntable surface of mu_s = 0.890 and mu_k = 0.540.

What is the maximum angular velocity with which the turntable can spin without the coin sliding?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet(x)= n + fs + fg = ma
= fs = ma
Fnet(y)=n+fs+fg=0
= n = mg

ma = mu_s(mg)
.0064m(a) = (.890)(.0064kg * 9.8)
a = 8.722 m/s^2

a=v2/r
8.722=v2/.16
v = 1.181 m/s

I'm supposed to change it to rad/s, but I have no idea on how to do that or even if I did it correctly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mirole said:

Homework Statement

A 6.40 g coin is placed 16.0 cm from the center of a turntable. The coin has static and kinetic coefficients of friction with the turntable surface of mu_s = 0.890 and mu_k = 0.540.

I'm supposed to change it to rad/s, but I have no idea on how to do that or even if I did it correctly.

It's difficult to say what to do here since the problem statement doesn't actually contain a problem.

Oh, woops, was in a rush and forgot it, sorry.

What is the maximum angular velocity with which the turntable can spin without the coin sliding?

Ahhh, ok. I didn't check the numbers, but I think your method is right. Find the centrifugal force where it just begins to slide, and see what velocity that is equal to.

a = u_s * g = v^2/r => v = (u_s*g*r)^1/2,

which is what you did, and got that velocity.

Ok, so to go to radians, you need to convert your radial velocity from m/s to rad/s. So all you have to do is find the relationship between meters and radians-- and of course, this depends on how far away from the center of the circle you are! Here it said you're 16.0 cm from the center, so you can calculate the circumference of that circle (2*Pi*r), and then calculate how many seconds it would take to go that far at the speed you got, and realize that that same distance is equal to 2 Pi radians.

I don't think I explained that very well. It's pretty easy. Basically you know there's 2Pi rads in a circle, and your conversion factor is the circumference of the circle you're talking about.

Hope this helps!

v=rw
1.181=.16w
W=7.38 rad/s

Thanks!

1. What is the difference between motion in a plane and motion in a straight line?

Motion in a plane refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, while motion in a straight line only considers movement in one dimension. In motion in a plane, an object can move in any direction within the plane, whereas in motion in a straight line, the object can only move along a single line.

2. How is acceleration calculated in motion in a plane?

Acceleration in motion in a plane is calculated using the same formula as in motion in a straight line: acceleration = change in velocity / time. However, in motion in a plane, both the magnitude and direction of the acceleration must be considered, as the object can change direction while in motion.

3. Can an object have constant speed but changing velocity in motion in a plane?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity in motion in a plane. This occurs when the object moves in a circular path at a constant speed, but its velocity constantly changes as it changes direction.

4. How does the angle of motion affect the velocity of an object in motion in a plane?

The angle of motion affects the velocity of an object in two ways. First, the angle determines the direction of the velocity vector, which is the combination of the object's speed and direction. Second, the angle can affect the magnitude of the velocity, as different angles can result in different speed values for the same object.

5. Can an object have zero acceleration but non-zero velocity in motion in a plane?

Yes, an object can have zero acceleration but non-zero velocity in motion in a plane. This occurs when the object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, as there is no change in velocity and therefore no acceleration. However, if the object changes direction, even if it maintains a constant speed, it will have non-zero acceleration.