What Speed is Needed to Reach the Airport on Time After Traffic Delay?

In summary: So 5500miles.In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation but was not sure how to find the "net average velocity." He used miles and kilometers to calculate the remaining distance and remaining time. The average velocity for the second part would be 63.7 miles/hour.
darklich21

Homework Statement

You allow yourself 35 minutes to drive 25 miles to the airport, but are caught in heavy traffic and average 22 miles/hour for the first 15 minutes. What must your average speed be on the rest of the trip if you are to get there on time? Express your answer in miles/hour.

Homework Equations

D=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

This was confusing, but this is how i started. I did a little dimensional analysis and did (25mil/35min) x (60min/1hr)= 42.857 mil/hr. From what I understand, this is what you need to do to get to the airport on time. I'm going 22miles/hour for the first 15 mins, meaning, i only have (35-15) = 20 mins left to get to the airport on time. Then I did 42.857-the miles i orginally traveled, which in this case was 22, leaving me with 20.857 miles to go.

So I used D=vt.
20.857=(v)(20min). V=1.04mil/hour

This would be the speed I would need to be traveling for the next 20 mins in order to get to the airport on time.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first 15 minutes the average velocity is 22 miles/h. Let v be the average velocity in the remaining time.
So the net average velocity = (22+v)/2

Hmm, If I'm solving for V, but how do I get that "net average velocity"?

darklich21 said:
Hmm, If I'm solving for V, but how do I get that "net average velocity"?
You have already calculated it. That is total distance /total time.

So if I am understanding this right, total distance/total time was 25mil/35 min?, which was 42.857mi/hr? and I am solving for V?

if so, I did this: 42.857= (22+v)/2
v=63.7mi/hr, which would be the speed I would need to go in order to make it to the airport on time.

Is this it?

darklich21 said:
So if I am understanding this right, total distance/total time was 25mil/35 min?, which was 42.857mi/hr? and I am solving for V?

if so, I did this: 42.857= (22+v)/2
v=63.7mi/hr, which would be the speed I would need to go in order to make it to the airport on time.

Is this it?

I think so.

ouch, apparently it was wrong lol.

I dunno, I think I'm supposed to use the "22mil/hour for 15 min" data somehow, perhaps a bit of conversion

any other ideas?

Try this one.
In 15 minutes he moves 5.5 miles
Find the remaining distance and remaining time. Then find the average velocity for the second part.

Last edited:
How did you get 5.5 kilometers? Did you use a conversion factor between kilomters and miles from 22 miles? And why exactly am I using kilometers?

darklich21 said:
How did you get 5.5 kilometers? Did you use a conversion factor between kilomters and miles from 22 miles? And why exactly am I using kilometers?
Sorry.It is miles.
22 mile*15 min/60 min

What is "Motion in a straight line"?

"Motion in a straight line" refers to the movement of an object along a path that is straight and has a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving in a single direction without changing speed or direction.

What is uniform motion?

Uniform motion is another term for "Motion in a straight line". It describes the movement of an object at a constant speed in a straight line.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is moving in different directions.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change in an object's velocity. It can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on whether the object is speeding up, slowing down, or maintaining a constant velocity.

How is motion in a straight line represented graphically?

Motion in a straight line is often represented graphically using a distance-time graph or a velocity-time graph. A distance-time graph shows the distance an object has traveled over time, while a velocity-time graph shows the object's velocity over time.