How Do You Calculate Initial Speed and Time Elapsed in a Collision Scenario?

In summary: So if I'm understanding this right, you're saying my Vf in the 2nd equation should be the same as the speed of the car when he crashed?In summary, a motorist decelerates at a rate of 6.3 meters/second^2 and collides with a stalled car while traveling at 13 kilometers/hour. Skid marks measuring 33 meters long were found at the scene. The first equation is used to determine the motorist's initial velocity of 20.4 m/s. For the second question, it is unclear what the velocity of the car should be, as it depends on the masses of the cars. The time elapsed from the initial braking to the collision is found using the equation
darklich21

Homework Statement

A motorist suddenly notices a stalled car and slams on the brakes, decelerating at the rate of 6.3 meters/second^2. Unfortunately this isn't good enough, and a collision ensues. From the damage sustained, police estimate that the car was moving at 13 kilometers/hour at the time of the collision. They also measured skid marks 33 meters long. How was was the motorist going when the brakes were first applied? How much time elapsed from the inital brraking to the collision?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad
Vf=Vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so to answer the first question, I used the first equation above.
0=Vi^2 + 2(-6.3m/s^2)(33m)
Vi= 20.4 m/s

To answer the 2nd question, I just used Vf= Vi + at
0=20.4m/s + 2(-6.3m/s^2)(t)
t=1.62 seconds

This all seems right, but the fact that the car is moving at 13 km/hour is bothering me. Is it useless data? or is it meant to be used in such a way? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so I did the first part right, but my 2nd part was wrong. I think the car is factored in somehow, can anyone help?

The motorist is decelerating. At the time of collision his velocity is 13 km/h. It cannot be the velocity of stalled car. You cannot assume that the motorist comes to rest immediately after collision.

So if I'm understanding this right, you're saying my Vf in the 2nd equation should be the same as the speed of the car when he crashed?

darklich21 said:
So if I'm understanding this right, you're saying my Vf in the 2nd equation should be the same as the speed of the car when he crashed?
According to the conservation of the momentum, it depends on the masses of the cars.

Well neither mass is given, but if they want to know how much time elapsed from the initial braking to the collision, I'm thinking in the process of him braking, that car is still moving. Wouldn't you think I need to factor that in somehow? Because if the car is still moving while he's braking before he collides in it, the time would be extended, no?

Time required is the interval between the instant of applying brakes to the instant of the collision.

So how would I go about solving how much time elapsed from the inital brraking to the collision? What equation would I use?

Use x =[ ( vi + vf )/2]*t

well ok, x would be 33m, Vi would be 20.4m/s, I am solving for t, but what's my Vf? would it be 0 since it crashed? That's what I'm not getting here.

darklich21 said:
well ok, x would be 33m, Vi would be 20.4m/s, I am solving for t, but what's my Vf? would it be 0 since it crashed? That's what I'm not getting here.
I am nor sure about it. At the instant of collision, its velocity cannot be zero. In that case there will not be much dent in the car.

1. What is "motion in a straight line"?

"Motion in a straight line" refers to the movement of an object along a path that does not deviate from a straight line. This motion can be described using concepts such as distance, displacement, speed, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the shortest distance between the starting and ending points of the object's motion. Displacement takes into account both the distance and direction of the object's movement.

3. How is speed calculated in "motion in a straight line"?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude (numerical value) but no direction.

4. What is acceleration in "motion in a straight line"?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took to change. Acceleration can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant speed).

5. How does Newton's laws of motion apply to "motion in a straight line"?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless a force is applied to change its motion. Newton's second law of motion relates the net force acting on an object to its mass and acceleration, while the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.