Motion in Magnetic Field : Co-Ordinates

In summary, the trajectory of a charged particle undergoing uniform circular motion will be circular if the magnetic field is in the -k direction.
HIGHLYTOXIC
Is there any way we can find the co-ordinates of a charged particle undergoing uniform circular motion in uniform magnetic field, in space ?

I tried it using the angular velocity of the particle but it becomes quite complex..

Can anyone help? How about co-ordinates in Helical Motion? Any Chance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - it's pretty straightforward. For example, take the magnetic field to be in the [itex]\hat z[/itex] direction and your equations of motion become
[tex]\frac {d v_x}{dt} = \Omega v_y[/tex]
[tex]\frac {d v_y}{dt} = - \Omega v_x[/tex]
[tex]\frac {d v_z}{dt} = 0[/tex]

where [itex]\Omega[/itex] is all the magnetic field, charge and mass folded into a single parameter. You shouldn't have any difficulty solving them if you have any experience with differential equations.

Oh, and once you have the velocity you can find the position by integrating
[tex]\frac {d \vec x}{dt} = \vec v[/tex]

Yeah, that does make it simple..Thanx for the help!

How would you prove using Newton's Second law that the trajectory of a charged particle with Velocity in the i direction and magnetic field in the -k direction must be circular?

SoberSteve2121 said:
How would you prove using Newton's Second law that the trajectory of a charged particle with Velocity in the i direction and magnetic field in the -k direction must be circular?

The preceding posts showed exactly how to do that.

Would you be able to lay it out for me because I don't understand that?

Steve,

The equations I wrote in Post #2 in this thread ARE Newton's Law! Acceleration is force divided by mass and you see the left side of the equations represent the acceleration vector. The right side of the equations are the force vector [itex]q \vec \times \vec B[/itex] divided by the mass (I rolled all the constants into the constant [itex]\Omega[/itex].

If you can solve those equations then you have your answer. You should at least be able to convince yourself that [itex]\cos \Omega t[/itex] and [itex]\sin \Omega t[/itex] are solutions of the first two equations so all you would have to do is apply initial conditions to the general solution

[tex]\vec x = \hat i x + \hat j y = \vec a \cos \Omega t + \vec b \sin \Omega t[/tex]

to find the constants a and b. The result is a parametric representation of a circle!

1. How is motion in a magnetic field described?

Motion in a magnetic field is described using coordinates, specifically the x, y, and z coordinates. These coordinates represent the direction and magnitude of the motion.

2. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and motion?

Magnetic fields can influence the motion of charged particles, causing them to move along a curved path or change direction. This is known as the Lorentz force.

3. What are the units of measurement for magnetic field and motion coordinates?

Magnetic fields are measured in units of tesla (T), while motion coordinates are typically measured in meters (m) or radians (rad).

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect motion coordinates?

The direction of the magnetic field can affect the direction and curvature of the motion coordinates. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the motion, the particle will travel in a circular path. If the magnetic field is parallel to the motion, the particle will experience no deflection.

5. Can motion coordinates be used to calculate the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

Yes, by using the motion coordinates, along with the mass and charge of the particle, the velocity can be calculated using the equation v = (qB)/m, where q is the charge, B is the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle.