1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in one dimension help?

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    An automobile which travels with the constant speed 20 m/s passes in a section in the moment t=0s and 5 seconds later in the same section passes another automobile which travles with the speed of 30 m/s in the same direction.a) Find when the second car meets the first one.
    My solution : x1=x2 20t=30(t-5) and here we find t=15 seconds.b) Whats the distance between the cars since the section until they meet? How to do this one? Just give me an idea..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Elaia06! :smile:

hmm :confused:

ahh! o:), i think you mean …​
    your equations should be …
    x1 = 20t
    x2 = 30(t-5)
    x1 = x2 :wink:

you already have t = 15,

so x1 = x2 = … ? :smile:

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    I did it this way, but my teacher said it was not correct o_O Now I logged in physicsforum and I see we have the same opinion :S Even the other students had done it this way.Whatever,thank you :)

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Elaia06! :smile:

Please remember that I rewrote the question so that it fitted your solution!

Perhaps the question means something different?

6. Oct 18, 2012 #5
    So the distance question means " The two cars,since they pass the line have a distance.They keep this distance until they meet.Find the distance.This is basically what I did,found that distance.

7. Oct 18, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry, but that doesn't make any sense :redface:

(how can they keep the distance if the distance is getting smaller?)

8. Oct 18, 2012 #7
    Thats what it says in my book,literally.I am not english and the book I work with is translated poorly ..Whatever,thank you anyway..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook