1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in One Dimension

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Kathy Kool buys a sport car that can accelerate at the rate of 4.90 m/s2. She decides to test the car by racing with another speedster, Stan Speedy. Both start from rest, but experienced Stn leaves the starting line 1.00 s before Kathy. Stan moves with a constant acceleration of 3.50 m/s2 and Kathy maintains an accceleration of 4.90 ms2.

a) Find the time at which Kathy overtakes Stan.
    b) Find the distance she travels before she catches him.
    c) Find the speeds of both cars at the instant she overtakes him.

I am not asking for the solution, I just want clues to help me resolve this question. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the kinematic formula for position as a function of time for uniformly accelerated motion? Use that formula to describe the position of each car as a function of time.

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    Ayesh your quote is very crazy yar but i am thinking over it wait plz

5. Jan 14, 2009 #4
    For the initial time, should I use Ti-Kathy=1 second and Ti-Stan=0 second?

6. Jan 14, 2009 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What I would do is measure time starting at t = 0 when Kathy starts moving. Where is Stan and how fast is he moving at that time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?