Calculating Overtaking Time and Distance in One-Dimensional Motion

In summary, Kathy Kool buys a sport car with an acceleration of 4.90 m/s2 and races with Stan Speedy who has a constant acceleration of 3.50 m/s2. Kathy starts 1.00 s after Stan, and the questions are asking for the time, distance, and speeds when Kathy overtakes Stan. To solve this, use the kinematic formula for position as a function of time for uniformly accelerated motion and measure time starting at t = 0 when Kathy starts moving.
Ayesh
Kathy Kool buys a sport car that can accelerate at the rate of 4.90 m/s2. She decides to test the car by racing with another speedster, Stan Speedy. Both start from rest, but experienced Stn leaves the starting line 1.00 s before Kathy. Stan moves with a constant acceleration of 3.50 m/s2 and Kathy maintains an accceleration of 4.90 ms2.

a) Find the time at which Kathy overtakes Stan.
b) Find the distance she travels before she catches him.
c) Find the speeds of both cars at the instant she overtakes him.

I am not asking for the solution, I just want clues to help me resolve this question. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the kinematic formula for position as a function of time for uniformly accelerated motion? Use that formula to describe the position of each car as a function of time.

Ayesh your quote is very crazy yar but i am thinking over it wait please

For the initial time, should I use Ti-Kathy=1 second and Ti-Stan=0 second?

What I would do is measure time starting at t = 0 when Kathy starts moving. Where is Stan and how fast is he moving at that time?

1. What is "Motion in One Dimension"?

"Motion in One Dimension" refers to the movement of an object along a straight line or in a single direction. It does not involve any changes in direction or rotation.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of the object's motion.

3. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total amount of ground an object has covered, while displacement is the straight-line distance between an object's starting and ending points. Displacement takes into account the direction of the object's motion, while distance does not.

4. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed gives an overall view of an object's motion, while instantaneous speed provides a snapshot of its speed at a particular instance.

5. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The units for acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²).