1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in one dimension

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    A rock is dropped from rest into a well. The sound of the splash is heard 2.40 s after the rock is released from rest.

a)How far below the top of the well is the surface of the water? The speed of sound in air (at the ambient temperature) is 336 m/s.

(b) What If? If the travel time for the sound is neglected, what percentage error is introduced when the depth of the well is calculated?

t=2.4 s
    V0=0 m/s
    v=336 m/s

h= -(1/2)*9.8*(2.4-v/336)^2 m

this the equation I have got. and when i solve it I get two values for h. but both of them have same signs. I am really lost...please help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2
    How did you arrive at that equation? And what does it mean? I see two variables in it (h, v) so I can't understand it.

Separate the motion into two regimes. One of the rock falling to the water, and the other of the sound wave traveling up from the well (You can ignore the effect gravity has on the sound wave)

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    oh yeh i did a mistake...

it should be h= -(1/2)*9.8*(2.4-h/336)^2 m

yeah...I took
    h=v0t-(1/2)gt1^2...(1)

for sound h=v0t2

h=336*t2

t2=h/336

t=t1+t2

t1=t-t2

t1=2.4-h/336

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook