Using Xsens MTi-G to Plot Motion in Plane

In summary: Depending on the level of calculus you are using, you might also want to consider using the inverse of Euler's Method to solve for the heading. This will involve integrating the resulting acceleration vector twice to get the distance. So the equation will look like this:resulting_acc = sqrt(accX^2 + acc_Y^2) - 1/2 * sqrt(accX^2 + acc_Y^2)The heading angle would then be atan2(Mag_Y,Mag_X)
evol_w10lv

Homework Statement

I'm doing project using xsens MTi-G.
Data file example:
mi51t0la08b2vg6yt.png

I must plot motion in plane (decart coordinate system), without z component.
Measurment is taken after 0.01 s. To do the task, I should use acceleration and velosity data.

Homework Equations

c2f9lb1hu86v8d4netl.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I use those equations? I guess they are for constant acceleration. Or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those equations are for constant acceleration. And looking at the data file you posted part of, it looks like your acceleration is not constant.

Depending on your level of calculus, you have a few ways of proceeding. If your calculus is introductory you could approximate that the acceleration is constant over each measurement interval. Then you can use those equations over each interval. So at time=t1, say the first row in your file, you could have x1, Vx1, and ax1. Then evolve the position forward in time by that one interval using those equations. That will get you from x(t1) to x(t2).

This is essentially Euler's method.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_method

So there are some tricky bits to that. The time you need to use will be the time after time t1. So t1 looks to be 38291.2262 and t2 looks to be 38291.2362. So the t in the equation is the amount of time from t1 to t2, or 0.01 seconds. So you would apply the initial velocity and acceleration for that long.

x(t1) is presumably known.
x(t2) = x(t1) + Vx(t1) * 0.01 + 1/2 ax(t1) * (0.01)^2

And Vx(t1) and ax(t1) are the values from your data. Then you get x(t3) by evolving forward from t2 to t3 using he next time interval. You might do this in a spreadsheet such as MS Excel. Or maybe your "xsens MTi-G" will do it for you.

If your calculus is a bit more advanced then you could deal with the equations for non-constant acceleration. Velocity is the integral of acceleration, and position is the integral of velocity. And you could do some kind of curve-fitting to get the acceleration as a function of time between measurement points. This will presumably be more accurate than the previous method. Possibly your "xsens MTi-G" will do that for you as well.

Ok, it's clear about that. But now I'm trying to do more advanced calculations. I want to include heading and distance in my calculations. Let's say I integrate resulting acceleration vector twice to get distace.
resulting_acc = sqrt(accX^2 + acc_Y^2)
To get heading, I use magnetometer data, so direction = atan2(Mag_Y,Mag_X), then I convert it to 0-360 degrees.
Where exactly this heading angle is on the plane?
Is this angle to north like in the picture?
y6zw9jrtacotkt59ryhc.png

1. How does the Xsens MTi-G work?

The Xsens MTi-G is a motion tracking device that uses a combination of accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers to measure the orientation and movement of an object in 3D space. It uses advanced algorithms to calculate precise motion data and can be integrated with various software applications for visualization and analysis.

2. Can the Xsens MTi-G be used for real-time motion tracking?

Yes, the Xsens MTi-G is capable of real-time motion tracking with a low latency of less than 5 milliseconds. This makes it suitable for applications that require quick and accurate motion data, such as sports analysis or virtual reality simulations.

3. How accurate is the Xsens MTi-G?

The Xsens MTi-G has a measurement accuracy of up to 0.05 degrees for orientation and 0.05 m/s^2 for acceleration. It also has a low drift rate, which means it can maintain accuracy over long periods of time without needing frequent calibration.

4. What types of applications can the Xsens MTi-G be used for?

The Xsens MTi-G can be used for a variety of applications, including motion analysis in sports, gait analysis in healthcare, motion capture in film and animation, and robotics. It can also be used for navigation and control in drones, autonomous vehicles, and other systems.

5. Is the Xsens MTi-G easy to set up and use?

Yes, the Xsens MTi-G is designed to be user-friendly and can be easily set up and used by individuals with basic technical knowledge. It comes with software tools and support to help users integrate the device into their specific application or system.